Driving in heels?

I went out last night for a drive wearing my new knee boots (pic in the picture forum). I must say that was difficult, I was fully stretched because I'm 6' 2" anyhow and struggled, especially with the brake. There was also the thought in the back of my mind about getting stopped because there are lots of police out and about at that time of night. I suppose it was quite a thrill knowing that I may have been caught in just shirt, shorts and shiny black knee boots with six inch heels :wink: Anyone have else driving experiences?

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nope haven't driven in heels because of 3 reasons:

1) my car is up at the farm

2) the brakes on my car are VERY(almost non functional) shoddy and driving in my plats (see "TXT-1's new sandals" in the picture discussion forum) would make it much worse

3 dont have a drivers licence because of my disability (High Functioning Autisim) don't really need it either as it allows me to save more money for my Tamiya TXT-1 and more heels :wink: . later,

TXT-1

Very nice and acceptable summer wear Robert. I've been driving my cars since more than 30 years in all kind of heels and never had problems.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

I drove my car last night in a new pair of 4 inch stiletto ankle boots and I didn't encounter many problems apart from them being a little slippery on the pedals as they are new, but that will disappear soon! Tried driving in 5 1/2 stilettos and didn't get very far to be honest!

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything..." - Dr Emmet L Brown - 1985

I used to drive in heels, but to be honest it can be quite awkward. I have a BMW with the traditional long 'organ-style' loud pedal, and that's rather tricky in heels. The main reason I stopped driving in heels, tho', was that I found I was scratching up the backs of the heels on my shoes, so I decided not to bother. But I can drive in heels if I need or want to. (Plus, Jay1's cheating - he's got an automatic :wink: )

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

The only problem I've ever had when driving with heels is getting my shoes dirty. It's really quite easy, once you learn how to change your foot position to suit the heels. But that is the trick, finding what works, and learning to use it to your advantage.

Yamyam, and your point is...? :wink: Anyway, automatics are MUCH better! They sound nicer when you move off and there is less hassle with changing gear and all that, and more importantly, with regards to scratching your heels, you only get that on the right one not both!! Sorry if that went a little off-topic but it had to be said!!

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything..." - Dr Emmet L Brown - 1985

This subject has been covered before by Nata on 26th Mar 02 in the 'For Everybody' forum.

I find the extra space and more upright position in my 4wd allows me to wear 5" heels without scuffing the back of heels.

http://65.160.96.70/hhplace/images/1052226566

Ask Calv how my control of the vehicle is, but don't ask him to comment about sticking to the correct lane markings which I regard as suggested guidance to one's trajectory.

Xa

Yamyam, and your point is...? :wink: Anyway, automatics are MUCH better! They sound nicer when you move off and there is less hassle with changing gear and all that, and more importantly, with regards to scratching your heels, you only get that on the right one not both!!

Sorry if that went a little off-topic but it had to be said!!

Automatics are cheating :D ! And I quite like changing gear, and I like doing rather more MPG. And I only scratch up my right heel anyway. If I drive in heels, I drive in bouncy rubber soles.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I've driven my car in 5" stilettos with no problems. Driving my lorry in 4" block heels is hairy and won't be attempted again!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I don't see any issues connected with driving while wearing high heels. I've been driving in heels since I got my drivers license 31 years ago. Never had a problem except once when wearing a pair of plats. My foot slipped off of the break and I had to use my instep to continue to apply enough pressure to stop. Good lesson because I haven't driven in plats since and I am always extra cautious to make sure I've placed the ball of my foot properly on either the clutch or break peddles before pressing them down. Not aproblem since then. I've driven thousands of miles over both short and long distances without incident.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

My right knee (the gas pedal leg) hurts a lot less when I drive in high heels, esp slight plats with narrower heels.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

I am such a regular high heel driver that I find it harder now a days to drive with flats. It's simply strange. A word of advice: Just make sure your stiletto heel does not get stuck behind the accelerator pedal. Has never happened to me but I've heard stories! :wink:

Xa I love those boots! I used to wear a pair of 5"stilleto courts out but always used to have a pair of flats in the car for driving home. Reason being I used to dance my feet off and needed to rest them. These days I just wear my heels and it's fine except when they have an extra long pointy toe that catches the roof above the clutch :wink: but I manage :D

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

Only once did I attempt to drive with my LSB ballet boots.. and it was at 4am when very little traffic was around. Of course, driving was pretty easy compared to the walk down stairs to get to the parking lot.. then the down angle on the pavement was fun.. not to mention not realizing just what a PITA the seed's from my neighbors tree can be while going from my vehicle to the mailbox, back into my place. I have worn 4.5" heels on drives across Aligator Ally a few times, with little problem. Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

Tried once with plattform sandals, 6" heel and 2" plattform. Not really a problem, but I did not have a good feeling with the accelerator. Maybe better without the thick sole. But I`m cheating, driving an automatic. Would like to do it again, hopefully I dont get stopped and have to leave the car :wink: but then again, sometimes it better to jump into it, wish I had the guts

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I...in fact I find them better than flat shoes.

:D not sure Michael Schumacher would agree with you on that :wink:

Personally, even a chunky sole is out for me let alone the thought of a heel. I prefer to have maximum feel of the car whilst driving.

Driving in heels is easy. I've done it in heels up to 5 1/2 inch. If you have good control of the car and good relfexes, no problem. But then, that means you can wear the shoes when walking, not just driving. And yes, this is for both city and highway driving.

I' with Laurie here. Driving with heels is so so easy. I should point out that all my mats within the cars I have owned co get destroyed (particularly as I normally opt for metal tipped heels - they wreck the inside of the car). Well worth it though.... he he

Driving in heels may be easy, but I doubt whether it is easier to drive in high stiletto heels than flats. A lot depends on the driving position. When driving my car my legs are virtually parallel with the floor. Driving in high heels would place the entire length of the heel parallel to the floor and any attempt to operate the pedals using ankle movements alone would be next to impossible. Pedal operation would have to be made using just the leg and thigh muscles. This combined with the added danger of the heel tip catching on something as one applys the brakes in an emergency makes driving in high heels in my car a virtual non-starter. A pair of flexible flat shoes allows the foot to flex from the ankle even into a high heeled position resulting in much less leg movement. Whether driving in high heels is easy or not really depends on the driving position.

I don't really see any difference driving in heels, even for extended periods. i have gone hours. The nearest CD support group is 2.5 hours away, and have done the round trip alot in heels.

Any day that you don't learn something new is a day wasted.

Once you get used to wearing heels all the time driving becomes just as natural as walking or any other activities. I never stood still at the techical aspect of what exactly flexes or rotates at my ankles to operate car pedals, I just did it without even thinking. To be honest I should specify most of my heels fall into the normal instead of fetish category (see my website).

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

We are talking about heels in the fetish category in this thread :D It is therefore easier to drive in such heels if you are seated in a near normal position, at least 12" above the floor of the vehicle. When seated virtually on the floor of the car the driving position makes it more difficult to control the car in heels. I'm not surprised most people can't see my point. You'd probably have to experience the driving position I'm talking about to realise how difficult it is. I'm just saying that the driving position determines how easy it is, and therefore some cars will be easier to drive in heels than others. It's a bit like saying walking in heels is easy when all you've ever done is walk on flat surfaces, wet cobblestones and steep slopes are not so easy :wink:

Okay, now it comes up, driving position. Sadly, most of us cannot afford the type of car that would create problems with that low driving position. My normal seat in my normal car means I can wear 5.5 stilettos and drive just fine. Are you telling me that I could not drive something like a Corvette, or Lotus, or any other low slung sportster, with such high heels? Give me the money to buy one, and I'll prove you wrong :wink: With pictures to prove it! Heehee

We are talking about heels in the fetish category in this thread :D

It is therefore easier to drive in such heels if you are seated in a near normal position, at least 12" above the floor of the vehicle. When seated virtually on the floor of the car the driving position makes it more difficult to control the car in heels. I'm not surprised most people can't see my point. You'd probably have to experience the driving position I'm talking about to realise how difficult it is. I'm just saying that the driving position determines how easy it is, and therefore some cars will be easier to drive in heels than others.:wink:

OK, sorry, overlooked that but on the other hand I don't think real fetish heels should be used for driving (or shopping etc). This thread also isn't only about fetish but also comprises very high heels. In the early 70's I always drove my Opel GT (very flat leg position) with 15cm (block) heeled and 5cm platformed shoes and boots so this small guy could drive with the arms stretched (yeah yeah showing off) and still reach the pedals. In that time everybody wore such shoes (Abba times) and they were not considered fetish. My 1966 Triumph Spitfire Mk2 certainly has a very low driving position and very narrow pedals but I never had any trouble driving it with heels, even stilettos these last years.

Some cars will always be easier to drive as others and that's one of the reasons I now have a Lexus GS300 with automatic electrical retracting and upward tilting steering wheel for easy access, and 2 widely spaced pedals (automatic gearbox) in order to accomodate even my widest (Hex) platforms. The design might not be fetish but technically they pose even bigger problems as narrow shoes.

Posted Image