New London Exhibition - Men in Skirts

Calv

Bah! Why is it that everything happens in London :smile: . I don't think I'll be able to make 27 April, but I'd be interested. Oh well, nearer the time, I'll see about childcare and stuff.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me about it! I'm lucky though, the bus goes straight there :smile:

Man is born in freedom, but soon becomes enslaved, in cages of convention from the cradle to the grave - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds/Sung by David Essex

I asked a female friend if she'd like to go, she declined B) Never mind, i've several more I could ask :smile: i'm sure one or two would be open minded on this one Looking forward to meeting you all, let's sort out times and meeting places closer to the date?

Man is born in freedom, but soon becomes enslaved, in cages of convention from the cradle to the grave - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds/Sung by David Essex

Prufrock is a lighthearted column in the Sunday Times business section. Here's their piece on 'Men in Skirts'. It was accompanied with a photo showing a man in suit, tie, boring shoes, trousers, but with an extra layer being a calf-length skirt. A couple of female city types are looking over their shoulders for a better look at the apparition. ------------------------------------------------------------------- To mark the launch of the Men in Skirts exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum, fashion designer Ozwald Boateng constructed a special pinstriped suit for Prufrock to take around the City. It came, of course, complete with a skirt. We took a small army of fashion experts to find out if London's bankers would try a different look on the trading floors. First up was Merril Lynch, who said: "It won't catch on in a recession. You need to wait for a bull market - you can do anything in a bull market." An accountant from Ernst and Young thought it looked nice, but wasn't having any of it: "It's a skirt - and men don't wear skirts." Some passing builders were less polite. Then it was to the Bank of England, its people famous for their humour and sartorial elegance. We got through a layer of security, but were told Sir Edward George was busy. Vanessa Crowe, one particularly cantankerous minion, who refused to haul herself to reception, said: "I don't think the Governor would look good in a skirt and we don't want to be involved." Boateng was disappointed: "Perhaps she thought it was a dress." -------------------------------------------------------------------

Brits like traditions, I wouldn't have expected anything else from those formal members of society. Oh shocking.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Perhap's one day the City will drag it's head from out of it's own arse :smile: Untill then I suspect all the workers down there will feel compelled to conform, though I say bollocks to it :eek:

If you want to see 38 pictures of the men in skirts exhibition in London you can find them at

http://www.imff.net/

Click on the gallery option, then on the visitor photo albums on the top, then click on the picture besides the Gerry album.

It really looks professional and varied.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

I've taken a look and found it to be pretty professional, maybe we'll see something more mainstream come from this someday :smile:

Thinking we could meet by the Albert Memorial, sometime betweenn 1-2 pm on sat 27th april, if anybody has other ideas post them here

Just thinking of landmark for those not so familiar with London, otherwise you are right, south ken tube/outside V&A would be better <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bob on 2002-03-17 19:58 ]</font>

• 3 weeks later...

Bad news guy's, I'm not going to be able to make this date (may might still be possible thought) Things seem to taking a significant change for the better in my life (work and social) and it looks like the next few weeks and months are going to be very busy for me :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like i'm not the only one with car trouble, though at least mine is safe from little ones damaging it! Had to put mine through it's mot, trouble is the only place i could take it thought they could make some money out of me, i.e. con me! Needless to say I went elsewhere for repairs and took it back the next day (free re-test), the wideboys only tried to fail it again! So, i'm shorter this month than planned :smile:

I'm still game and same with Xaphod. That yellow streak in my back is causing second thoughts about a skirt but still game for a trip to London and open to persuasion. Looks like it could be the usual three of us unless anybody else is coming?

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Hi Guys, It looks like it's just we three. I must admit that I have other things to do on Saturday, frankly not as interesting as heely things, but I said I would help a friend shift 12 cubic metres of ready-mix concrete when it arrived .... it looks like that will be Saturday.

Ouch Xaphod 12 cu m sounds like 12 tonnes plus = lots of shovelling and barrowing - What are you laying? a runway :smile: So is anybody else up for Saturday? I'm easy either way but I dont want to turn up by myself.

Calv

It has to be said it was a poor showing from people here considering it was organised so long in advance. I'll just have to assume you lot were too chicken to wear a skirt :smile: Francis excepted cos I know he isn't.

I wore one even though I never do that normally, inside or outside. It was a long black one for the record and I wore it with calf length black 5" ruche boots with a 1/2" platform. I reckon it looked fab with a balck velvet jacket. Anyway I wore that all through London and didn't get a comment from anyone including at the V&A. A few smiles and admiring glances from girls though.

So just to prove I did go there, here's some pics from the exhibition. Dr Shoe and Ruth were there too, we phoned before but missed each other.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The text on the picture reads something like "Trousers on women are acceptable but men in skirts are likely to get ridicule"....which I proved was crap. Obviously the author had never tried it, or maybe I just looked too good :smile:

Sorry Guys I've cocked up big time here. The impression I got from the messages was that everybody was dropping out and nobody would be turning up. Imagine my surprise when Firefox phoned me from the meeting place :smile: Unfortunately it would have taken me 2-3 hours to get to London. Even the train wouldn't have got me there in less than 3 hours. I feel as though I've let the side down, aspecially Firefox and Dr Shoe who did actually turn up. Technical note - my browser doesn't refresh unless prompted so I missed some important messages. Very sorry guys.

Calv

Well, it was worthwhile going, even if we did miss Firefox. I wore leather jeans with a leather panel front and rear identical to an outfit that was on display by luck rather than judgement! I teamed it with a backzip leotard and 4.5" stilleto boots.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.