I walked 5 miles in high heels

I am due to do a 5 mile charity walk on a hard surface wearing a pair of womans PLEASER XTC826 sandals. I am totally new to wearing such footwear and i think i need a bit of help (Any shrinks on this forum). Can anyone tell me what i need to know.

1/ Do i wear stockings or not

2/ How often do i stop

3/ How do i prevent blisters

4/ How do i excercise my feet

any information will be of use. i am doing the walk on 22 Aug 2009. I am sure most forum users will agree that 5 miles is a long way in 7.5'' heels, especially if you have NEVER worn them in your life:mecry::winkiss::mecry:

just need a bit of advice on how to avoid injuring myself. the reason i am asking is that i am going to be doing a 5 mile walk for charity in 7.5'' heels (Pleaser XTC826). i have never worn heels in my life unless you count when i was in primary school in the 1970's when i had a pair of mens 4 inch platforms (i used to play football in them). i just need a bit of advice on foot excercise etc. should i wear stockings or not. i have been told to wear them as i am likely to have blisters without them

Well, those sandals have a 4" platform and that will help you a lot. Really there's only 3.5" of rise from the toe to the heel and that's manageable. The platform will fool you though, watch where you place your feet. Stay on flat surfaces like concrete and asphalt -- cobblestones will throw you and you'll wind up in a heap. 5 miles? I'd say some form of padding between your tootsies and those shoes is an absolute necessity! Not just stockings but socks. Thick cotton ones. You won't make brownie points with the fashion police but those uppers are probably made from polyurethane which does not give much to pressure. You will be developing blisters after 500 feet barefoot in them! Get them soon and practice a bit.

Have a happy time!

You may also want to practice some leg lifts. If those shoes weigh more than your typical shoes, because they're all the way at the end of your foot, it may seem like they weigh a lot more. Adding the long walk you'll be doing, that's a lot of extra strain on your leg muscles.

just need a bit of advice on how to avoid injuring myself. the reason i am asking is that i am going to be doing a 5 mile walk for charity in 7.5'' heels (Pleaser XTC826). i have never worn heels in my life unless you count when i was in primary school in the 1970's when i had a pair of mens 4 inch platforms (i used to play football in them). i just need a bit of advice on foot excercise etc. should i wear stockings or not. i have been told to wear them as i am likely to have blisters without them

It seems your name is right, you are crazy.

You will not do it without serious injury. My advice would be to wear lower heels or carry them in a bag to put on at the very first sign of trouble. I couldn't wear 7.5 inchers 100 yards and I've been wearing heels for about 20 years.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I second all the advice in previous posts, and reiterate: practice, practice, practice.

I'd see if you can find a training schedule for running a 10K and create a parallel one for walking in heels. In other words, you need to get comfortable walking in them first indoors, then on pavement for a little more each time. Hopefully by early August, you will be able to walk two-three miles in them so that five is a strain but not something that will result in injury.

Another thing you might want to pursue is a fitness class in balletic alignment, or pilates core training. Ballet dancers hold their weight in their core rather than letting gravity sinking it into your ankles and unusually extended feet. The core training will accustom you to bearing more of your weight with your abdominal muscles and that will put less stress on your legs and lower extremities.

Lastly, don't take the walk as a lark; one false step and you risk significant injury via a fall; poor alignment for a long period of time in heels will get you a hefty bill from your chiropractor. The fact that you have an athletic background can help you; what you're attempting this summer is a major athletic feat. You should prepare accordingly.

Good luck and please keep the forum posted on your progress!

-MJ

just a quick note to say im doing the charity walk in aid of HELP FOR HEROES. its a british charity raising money for wounded soldiers coming back from afganistan. check out their website on

www.helpforheroes.org.uk/index.html

you may of heard of it as american troops are over their as well hunting down Bin Laden. hope they get him soon as too many troops have been injured

unless not walking over cobblestones (the worst surface for platform heels imho) or similar, due to the platform it might be possible without injuries. as to blisters, it is more about fitting- I would always try a shoe outdoor for a longer walk having another pair with me before I would do on heels something you are going to. unfortunatly there is nothing you can really do prevent them: it depends e. g., on temperature, and there are shoes where it might happen, when you wear stockings, and there are some, where it happens, when you do not! but while blisters, even if painfull, would heal up soon, you should really take care of your joints and tendons. It is your decision, but actually I would think that quite dangerous what you are going to do. Take care and watch out with every step you do cuz I do not think you really want to know what tearing tendons or similar means.

Doing a serious walk like this it is worth while doing the route before so you know what to expect and how you cope. This will also give you a basic idea of how long. Next do it in heels that you are comfortable in for that length of time, Ok that may be a night walk to test yourself and your shoes. I have done the walk to work 1.8 miles and varying stages in different styles and heights. Some are easy some fail at a mile. BIG ouch and some just did not stay on. Time wise with a change into flats at approx 1.4 miles (to light to walk in the gate) gave a time of about 5 minutes longer over the full distance giving 30 mins (flat) 35 in heels. Comfort IS the prime factor. Good fit and preparation and you will succeed. Good luck with the heeled yomp. Al ps What's the date of your event and which county

maybe you would like to check out the charitys events web page at www.helpforheroes.org.uk/events_t-z.html#96 that will give you all the details you need. you will also see my justgiving web page where i have uploaded some photos. i have done 5 miles in around 2 hours in worn out flat mens shoes when my car broke down. i had blisters on my heels the size of golf balls as the heels were collapsing. if they had been new i would of been ok but they had been in regular use for around 7 or 8 years.

duct tape over your bare feet will help in spots were you might get blisters. I would wear hose as well though. good luck, you'll need it.

My girlfriend and I were at a crazy fancy dress party and my girlfriend kidnapped 2 gay guys (they weren't in fancy dress) and took them back to our flat to dress them up. One of them wanted to try heels for the 1st time. All we had that would fit him were a pair of Pleaser style stripper shoes with 6 inch heels and 2 inch platforms. He fell over instantly and sprained his ankle. 5 miles in 7.5 inch heels... Don't be silly!

i have not fallen over (YET!). i am doing ok around the house. cant practice outside for various reasons like there are a load of ar###oles living around where i live and the pavements must be from a warzone as they are riddled with potholes and ruts not to mention the rubbish thrown on the pavements. i have stood for 3 hours in them while repairing a computer and i was ok except that my workbench was made for a 6 foot person and not a 6 foot 6 person. i have faith in them as the sandals have a large heel and are not stilletos. i am in no hurry on the walk as the idea is to finish it in 1 piece and not in record time. the path i will be doing the walk on is smooth as a babies bum. i also plan to do a collection or 2 at local supermarkets. a LOT of people are going to be surprised if i finish the walk. if you thinks thats bad wait until i have done the walk as i have promised my wife to double the distance with the same heels for another charity if i complete the walk.

I find stilettos to be more 'controllable' where balance whilst walking is concerned. Wider heels, especially with very high platforms, tend to give way big time if you wobble. I still think you are mad but wish you good luck and fun!

• 3 months later...

Today (22 Aug 2009) I participated in what many people said was impossible. Walking 5 miles in high heels. I have just proven it is possible as I just walked from Swansea Civic Centre to Mumbles Pier (IN THE UK) which is 5 miles in total. It took all of 3.5 hours which actually surprised me. I know what you are thinking. What heels was he wearing? I will tell you. I suggest that you sit down. First I have to tell you that I had never worn high heels of any height unless of course you count mens platforms from the 1970's. I was wearing a pair of PLEASER XTC 826 womens sandals which have a huge 7.5 inches (not cm) chunky heel and a 4 inch platform. A lot of people told me it is impossible and cannot be done. WRONG it can be done and it is easier than you would think. It could also be that I had a secret inbuilt ability that I never knew about. The only injuries I had after the 5 miles was a small blister on each little toe which I expected to happen. I have uploaded 2 photos. One shows me after the first mile and the second one shows me at the final destination after 5 miles. There are precautions that need to be taken when undertaking suck walk. I suggest that you avoid soft and rough surfaces (sand is nearly impossible to walk in). you should also keep an eye open for stones and cracks etc. To put it straight heels of this type are safest on the dancefloor. It is so easy to lose your balance. I lost mine quiet a few times but i was very lucky that i never broke, twisted or sprained my ankles. I have also uploaded a picture of the sandals that I wore. anyway i hope you like the story. :):clap::):clap::)

post-17818-133522890948_thumb.jpg

post-17818-133522890965_thumb.jpg

post-17818-133522890979_thumb.jpg

WELL DONE Kev I knew it would be hard, not impossible as long as you got some practice time in and you proved some of us wrong For the effort and for the cause. GOOD on you, I bow to you! Now I must do a return and put some money in the pot (in september cos I'm broke) Congrats that is some heeling outing to set standards by! Al

<mod mode> Merged three threads regarding "krazykev'64s" charity walk. Together all these threads tell a bit of a story so I left the thread here. </mod> krazykev64 -- now that you have broken the ice (and in a big way), any plans of continuing your heeling activities?

Have a happy time!

Thanks for the story and photos, you did a great job! I can't wait for the 10 mile trek you wrote of earlier. I can't say I actually know the area, but my wife and I had some interesting adventures in Swansea and out to Mumbles. It was our first trip to the UK in 1978. We rented a car in London and learned how to drive on the left, partly on the "closed to cars" section of Oxford St. with many taxis honking and shouting at us. When we finally popped out of the city, we were headed for Wales, not our intended destination, but we stayed on the path of least resistance and had a wonderful time.

• 2 months later...

Well it is now 3 months since I completed my 5 mile walk in ''those heels''. I must admit I was over the hill and well pleased that I actually completed the 5 miles. Not only did it feel good to have completed the walk but even wearing the heels felt good which I can only put down to the sandals being well made. I would recommend the Pleaser brand to both men and women if they are after a good quality budget pair of heels.

As I previously mentioned I promised my wife that I would double the distance for her chosen charity next year wearing the same heels. she has now decided that I dont have to wear the same heels but whatever I wear must be pink and very high as you will see by the picture I have uploaded. If you go to my poll you can pick the pair that you would like me (or yourself) to wear on the 10 mile walk next year. The poll is at:

http://www.hhplace.org/your_favourite_high_heel_pictures/14790-pick_pair_you_like_best.html

The only pair I wont use is the red pair which I have found out is not available in pink. It is not just the heels that will be pink as I will be dressed in drag which will also be ALL pink.:cry1::smile::wave:

post-17818-133522897118_thumb.jpg