Reducing calf size of boots

benno

Hi Guys, I have just bought some boots from Leatherworks. They are as the attached Photo but in black leather. They fit like a dream on my feet but the calfs are too big making them a bit baggy. The whole point (to me that is) of these boots is that they should be tight around the leg. I was hoping to get them made tighter. There is a seam up the back of the boots. Could they be unstitched and cut and then sewn up? The only thing I want to avoid is zips. I hate zips on boots. I've looked at a few old posts and seen the name Achilles mentioned. Does he still exist and if so would he be able to do something like that? Hope everyone is doing well. Cheers, Ben

post-9545-133522881147_thumb.jpg

Achilles did a good job on some boots of mine a year or so ago. I think it was £18 to reduce the calves and done in a couple of hours whle I had an appointment in the CIty. Judging by recent threads he is still there. This link shows where:

http://trustedplaces.com/review/uk/london/shops+and+amenities/103a270/the-craftsman

PS: Like the boots!

You need to be very cautious when taking in just one seam. Boot legs are designed to fit the shape of the average calf & altering just one seam can in some cases make the boots twist. you sometimes need to alter the shape in 4 ¼'s otherwise they can be uncomfortable & end up looking bloody awful. I'm sure Achilles will advice appropriately. Lee

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.

Thanks for pointing that out. Each case is different. On my boots it was obvious that the surplus leather was at the back of my calves so Achilles' method of remaking the rear seam was the right answer.

You need to be very cautious when taking in just one seam. Boot legs are designed to fit the shape of the average calf & altering just one seam can in some cases make the boots twist. you sometimes need to alter the shape in 4 ¼'s otherwise they can be uncomfortable & end up looking bloody awful.

I'm sure Achilles will advice appropriately.

Lee

In addition; you might want to consider removing some material from the sides and replacing it with elastic. That way, should your calves ever enlarge, you will have the "give" in the sides to accommodate that and won't have to rework the boots. Just a suggestion. ;-)

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Duo is a good option and they have a resonable selection of styles. But with my thin legs I find that even if the boots fit on the calf, the ankles are usually too baggy. I´ve taken a pair of scissors to about five pairs of boots in order to slim down the leg and, as far as the boot allows, the ankle as well. I mostly undo the rear seam, cut a long thin wedge from either side and the sew them back up. They look OK on the outside, although I often find the lining difficult, so the inside of the boot can be a bit messy - no matter if they are comfortable. I once detached one side of the zip to remove a strip of leather, but this caused problems at the ankle when sewing up again. On another pair I undid the front seam, but had a few problems with sewing the tongue (?) at the top of the foot back on. The only other option is to wear a pair of legwarmers inside the boot, but this is impractical on warmer days!

• 8 months later...

Hi there. I have the same problem as Benno with a pair of thigh highs. Is Achilles / The Craftsman still going strong? If I phone up do I ask for Achilles or is that just his nickname? Does he visit this site at all? Cheers

I planning on having my local cobbler do the same thing to all my kneehigh boots once i have my skinny jeans (should be tomorrow).

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Hi there. I have the same problem as Benno with a pair of thigh highs. Is Achilles / The Craftsman still going strong? If I phone up do I ask for Achilles or is that just his nickname? Does he visit this site at all?

Cheers

The shop was still there when I drove past a few weeks ago. Achilles is the only person I've ever seen working there. As far as I can see, the only way to have him do work is to visit the shop in person. Unless he is under very deep cover he doesn't visit HHP.