"Those Are Women's Jeans!"

Magickman

This is the story of another minor misadventure in men's fashion freedom. I buy all my clothes and footwear locally, live and in person, and I always try everything on, right at the store. After some small initial apprehension, it doesn't bother me at all, any more. There have been moments, however. One time, I was at Target, selecting some jeans. When buying jeans, I normally will be wearing boots with 4" heels, my usual footwear, so as to best judge the proper length. I found the ones I liked, and took them to the fitting room, for a try on. There was a bit of a line, and the fitting room attendant was directing traffic. When my turn came, I showed the attendant that I had one pair of jeans to try on. She looked at the jeans, and at me, before quite loudly and publicly announcing, "Those are women's jeans!" So there I was, standing amidst a crowd of women, while wearing 4" heels, as the attendant proclaimed to everyone that I wanted to try on some women's jeans. Maybe she wanted to express her disapproval, or maybe she wanted to give the other shoppers a thrill. I don't know. Feeling the attention of many eyes, I briefly turned red. But I stood my ground, and prceeded to use the fitting room. Has something like that ever happened to anyone else?

Wow....that must have been not what you were expecting. Perhaps, in the heat of maintaining good order by directing a line of customers to vacant fitting rooms, your sudden appearance caught her off guard. Once she regained her composure, I would expect that she treated you as she would treat any other customer. Didn't she?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

When my turn came, I showed the attendant that I had one pair of jeans to try on. She looked at the jeans, and at me, before quite loudly and publicly announcing, "Those are women's jeans!"

Did you buy them?

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

I'd say that this might have been the first time that she encountered the fact that you had picked up the wrong jeans and it might have surprised her. And then after the cat was out of the bag, her brain might have engaged and she decided to disappear in embarrassment from you.;-) Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Dawn HH, I must disagree. Target has unisex fitting rooms and all the attendant has to do is to count the pieces that you are taking in - that's all. Either she is just an idiot and obnoxious person or both. If she felt that Magickman was making a mistake, then she should have QUIETLY asked him.

It's all about the heel!

When my turn came, I showed the attendant that I had one pair of jeans to try on. She looked at the jeans, and at me, before quite loudly and publicly announcing, "Those are women's jeans!"

Bootking, I appreciate your comment. When people say such potentially embarrasing things, it's usually because they've encountered something seriously beyond their normal range of experience. It would be akin to someone never having seen conjoined twins to find themselves face to face with such a pair.

Something in the brain usually prevents people older than two or three from blurting out the obvious in situations where people can't help but being that way. For those who're doing things beyond an individual's experience, however, the "helpless" factor doesn't ring the bell, and the individual can't help but blurt out, like a two-year old, the disparity that's in their minds, deep-seated as a matter of course from their life's experiences, and based on their limited experience, the "That's not right!" bell goes off and out it comes.

It's partly their fault, partly their upbringing.

I've only experienced such a reaction twice while trying on heels, and the first time I crashed and burned as I just dropped them and shrank away, all eyes on me. The second time I said in the same loud voice, shock and surprise, "Yes! They are! Now will you please ring them up?"

Rude, I know. But only in response to their rudeness, and to put both them, as well as any onlookers with similar thoughts, in their place.

It worked. ;-)

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

Dawn HH, I must disagree. Target has unisex fitting rooms and all the attendant has to do is to count the pieces that you are taking in - that's all. Either she is just an idiot and obnoxious person or both. If she felt that Magickman was making a mistake, then she should have QUIETLY asked him.

gotta agree. however, some people are mentally not capable of editting their responses or tone of voice.

i work in an office, and one of the people there has no indoor voice. everything he says comes out like he's in the middle of a construction site. "SO YES, WE'LL SCHEDULE A TECHNICIAN TO COME OUT ON THURSDAY TO..." he's been talked to multiple times, and is still loud as hell!

if the saleslady REALLY was trying to embarrass you, i think she'd have stuck around for your re-appearance.

society has decided that men will be confined to

certain items of clothing, and certain modes of

presentation.

until we rebel PERSONALLY against this, we are diminished!

I've only experienced such a reaction twice while trying on heels, and the first time I crashed and burned as I just dropped them and shrank away, all eyes on me. The second time I said in the same loud voice, shock and surprise, "Yes! They are! Now will you please ring them up?"

Rude, I know. But only in response to their rudeness, and to put both them, as well as any onlookers with similar thoughts, in their place.

It worked. ;-)

A good strategy! Reacting to such comments by using responses that turn them into being the embarrassed party. Such a retort as "Yes, they are! Now will you please ring them up?" or "they sure are, does it matter?" or "do you not sell women's shoes to men in this store?" Very loud and clear where the reaction is focused on the clerk and not on you.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Given the crappy shape the economy is, especially in the retail sector, store personnel shouldn't give a damn what shoppers buy as long as they BUY something. Period! After all, that rude person's very job depends on the largesse of folks like you or me who slap down our hard earned money on their merchandise. How hard is that to figure out?

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

BootKing:-) r1g0r:-) Thanks guys for the heads-up. The very few times that I have been in a Target store and the purchases that Mickey and I have made had not required the use of the changing rooms. It is good to know that they are unisex though. I particularly like the retorts from Bubba. It gives me more ammunition for the future. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

that rude person's very job depends on the largesse of folks like you or me who slap down our hard earned money on their merchandise. How hard is that to figure out?

Actually, its extremely difficult. Why do you think they work in a shop for not much more than minimum wage? Hardly a "career move" working as a shop assistant is it.

If they were clever enough to bring in more money to the store, they would be the store manager ;-)

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

... " yes your point is? ... If I buy them they will be MY jeans." I was in a western/leather store in Nevada City, CA a number of years ago. I found a jacket there once. Over heard conversation, wife was trying on some boots I guess they had some sizing problem, in a rasied voice form the woman " when I buy them, they will be MY boots." I suspect she was trying one mens boots. Another comment from a GAP sales girl. "I have such a hard time getting women to try on mens jeans when they would fit so much better." I was heading into a fitting room to try on a skirt! I do not remeber if I bought that one. -- Brandy

One time I was in Illinois in a little town (can't even remember the name). But it had a little main street sort of a thing with a bunch of little shops and etc. So I went into a womens shoe store and browsed around. When the lady working there asked if I needed any help, I told her what size I was and she got the shoes for me. And, of course, I tried them on in the store. However, instead of acting awkward about it. She was intrigued. She asked me questions like why do I like to do it, and other things. And she was very respectful about it too. I was very happy with that store and the shop assistant. I also went into another store that had some adorable pumps that I bought. But the woman was much older (grey hair and all) and I assumed she wasn't going to be as...embracing as the other shop assistant was from the other store. But I politely asked for my size and she was very nice and helpful. I also kind of jokingly said: "I bet you don't get too many guys like me..." and she said: "You'd be surprised." At that point the awkwardness was gone and that was also a cool experience.

One of my goals in life is to have enough disposable income to purchase a pair of Christian Louboutin's.

I've not had it when getting a pair of womens jeans, but did once at a shoe store trying on womens running shoes. I really believe she just was trying to let me know I'd made a mistake, but I commented I normally wear a mens 7, and have dificulty finding styles I like in that size, so have gotten used to shopping in the womens section. Didnt hurt her store no longer carries mens styles below a size 8, and kids end at 5-6. After that she said "yea, I've got bigger feet for a women and have to go in mens depts at time, if you need any help at all just ask" ;-)

(formerly known as "JimC")

I am so sorry to read your story i really felt anger against that person managing the fitting room, look i never worn any women clothees or shoes in public, just because is not what i want but i do wear them in my privacy, but if I see someone like you going to buy and selecting women outfit is very private and I dont see any justification for that woman to get her noses into non of her damn business, ...for this i hate injustice and i am the kinfd to correct it giving a lesson of principle to the others, ..i would do the following: Write a letter to the managment and copy to general office, saying what happen in a brief manner, then in the main body of that letter express the disaproval of someone trying to manifest her or his own feelings, frustrations, beliefs, or whatever using the name an image of the store in order to descriminate a citizen and a customer, (you can easily make her a problem and destroy at least the image as an intrudor of privacy, if it happened in the states you are very very supperted) you should do that, she may remember all her life and also warn people to not get nosy or make statements like that in their entire life, one by one will get the lesson. She will get her ass fired and her reputation with a big label saying she is a nosy and problematic person that descriminate cd, tv, freestylers etc, maybe she is racist, we dont know. but is better to have the mouth shut or else. This is an example that for sure is a shame, Assumption, if someone not caucasian (an asian, latino, african american, middleeastern, etc.) goes to a store such as A&F and the asociate says, "oh, sorry this pants and shirts are designed better for blond people" or something like that, imagine what big shit they will get in? of course i dont know if it happened, but i read rumors of racism toward some groups and stuff like that, is very shameful and highly dissaproved. Never keep quiet, and if you feel so embarrassed try to get angry for you to relief and release the tension there in a correct manner. I am proud of you to be as you are. Dont pay much atention for you to get hurted, but pay atention to put in their place who incorrectly think can make a statement freely at the expense of other people feelings. cheers

V. Morpho

I've found that some stores (American Eagle) that carry men's and women's jeans seem to not be as accommodating. The Buckle stores, on the other hand, usually are very accommodating. Though, I usually head off the discussion, by saying I prefer the cut of the women's jeans. I've had sales girls from Buckle make the comments, "I wish I could get my bf to wear these jeans"

The toughest thing to come to terms with is understanding that not everyone was brought up or has such open minded views as you do. And as much as you want to scream at them (I sure do) for thinking this way. There is nothing you can do. They either won't hear it, or just think you're wrong. So the best way to handle it is to defy them by knowing that there is NOTHING they can do to stop you from trying on a pair of shoes or jeans. And because they feel so inclined as to let you know how they feel, there is no doubt in my mind, that them seeing you defy their dogmatic beliefs, while there is nothing they can do about it, will make them squirm with rage.

One of my goals in life is to have enough disposable income to purchase a pair of Christian Louboutin's.

Look, Fact of the matter is that I do @ times wear girls jeans and yes I do have an appreciation for "Girls Shoes" (AS Some of them should be "Unisex" such as "FLATS SKIMMERS & CLOGS"!!!) as they are of a barefoot, comfort design!!! As far as Jeans go, I Hate the loose "PRISON" design!!! As far as "Jeans" go, I HATE the "BAGGY,LOOSE LOW" PRISON DESIGNS!!!! IN Favor of "THE GIRLS" more INTELLEGANT AND PROFESSIONAL DESIGNS!!!! Meanwhile, I'll stick with my "Girls Jeans," Capris "and of course "Short ShortShorts' as well as the ocasional "Skirt" which is popular in "THE ISLES" for "GUYS"

I also hate the ultra baggy look. People will look back in 10 years and say - you actually wore those hideous things? Being tall and slender, women's heel cut jeans are about the only jeans I can find that are long enough, save special ordering them online. Interesting - 15 years ago, I never had a problem finding jeans of 31" waist and 36" inseam for men. Today, you just can't find them, it's all waist larger than inseam. Is the populace getting that fat? No wonder the men are all wearing baggy jeans, trying to cover up the bulges. Try working out, eating less, and stop vegging out in front of the tube. You'll feel better, as well as look better.

I also hate the ultra baggy look. People will look back in 10 years and say - you actually wore those hideous things?

Being tall and slender, women's heel cut jeans are about the only jeans I can find that are long enough, save special ordering them online. Interesting - 15 years ago, I never had a problem finding jeans of 31" waist and 36" inseam for men. Today, you just can't find them, it's all waist larger than inseam.

Is the populace getting that fat? No wonder the men are all wearing baggy jeans, trying to cover up the bulges. Try working out, eating less, and stop vegging out in front of the tube. You'll feel better, as well as look better.

TooTall,

I have the same problem with a 30" waist & 34" inseam. It seams men's jeans start at 32" waist. I hate the baggy jean look also.

rx

It was started by pop culture icons in the rap industry. Monkey see, monkey do. Now that the predominant popular culture icons are those of the "emo" variety which favor tight jeans and slim shirts it is becoming more of an easier look to find. But at the same time rap has not really lost its (you might say) appeal and since it's still the "flavor of the week" (more like the past decade) baggy pants are more prevalent considering the "indie"/"emo" look of tight jeans and slim shirts is just that: indie.

Tight jeans are actually not a new style. They were a staple on the wardrobe of some of us old rockers.

Yeah, i've actually begun to notice that. I've always thought fashion was somewhat cyclical.