Do Women like Men in heels?

misterd73

Do Women like Men in heels?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Do Women like Men in heels?

• Yes, Women like Men in heels!
    • They don't like it but accept that her partner/friend wears them.
    • Indifferent/don't care.
    • No, women don't like Men in heels!

I voted yes because I do. Well, I like high-heels on anyone who wants to wear them. For me it's not really about sex or gender, but about what I like to look at. The historic male styles I like the best are what people today would call "feminine" - Rococo (which is most concisely described as "omg, a pile of lace just puked on you, are you okay ?") and later-post-Regency (dandies in corsets ?), though I like them on men or women - the same way I like women's 40s glam on men or women. It's just what I like to look at. It's hard for me to guess what society in general might think because it's been a long time since I was part of society in general on really personal terms. I'm majoring in Art and everyone I associate with on a "friends" level is not a poster child for Upholders of Rigid Social Norm. I don't really feel attached to gender roles, when I'm with other people we try to fulfil the roles that each of us is most comfortable with if a role needs to be fulfilled at all. It's interesting to read others' reactions, though because I'm so oblivious that I just can't wrap my head around that mindset any more.

Hey! OLC, Your perspective and the way you vocalize it, is so refreshing. Our roles of gender is so inbredded that such a view is needs to be more illuminated, so that others would be able to realize your concept. In the periods you have mentioned, except for the forties, the corsets, the bustles, and the petticoats were popular as the basic foundation garments for the high social feminine identity. Although high heels were worn by both men and women during this time, women rarely showed their heels as they wore the full skirts which were hemed just above the floor, thus hiding their footwear. I seriously doubt the male wardrobe will ever adapt to the bustles and petticoats, but as you have intimated, the corset has already been used for slimming both the male and female figures. As time went on and as the world started to advance from the agarian lifestyle into the more aggressive industrial age, the social attitude changed for the masculine ideal. The flair for the frilly lace, ruffles, high heels, and other softer silky textures and nurturing thoughts were also set aside as being too feminine for the new social attitudes. The emerging male ideal portrayed men in a light that tried to leave out any connection of feminine feelings and desires. Likewise, women weren't suppose to have any masculine traits. Society magnified their roles to seem separate and different to promote their new socially propped-up ideals. Now when a person crosses over the ideal gap, it is usually labelled abnormal and/or socially perverse. In reality, it is just a person being who they really are. This causes a lot of contention and embarrassment between relationships of friends, lovers, and spouses who don't understand the truth about why their mate has and wants to portray these now socially abnormal behaviors and desires. This changed perception has also given rise to people rebeling against the standards of society when they understand they don't fit into the social mold.

• 2 weeks later...

I've asked many many the same question and the answer is almost always the same: "It depends on the shoe or heel..." Women are are almost unamously againt stiletto heels for men. But when I wear 3 - 3 1/2" boots or loafers with blocky heels, I get nothing but compliments. Guys, save the stillettos for around the house and just be realistic.

After giving this a lot of thought and meeting many women out heeling, I would say that it has less to do with the shoes a man is wearing and more to do with the man wearing the shoes.

Style is built from the ground up!

After giving this a lot of thought and meeting many women out heeling, I would say that it has less to do with the shoes a man is wearing and more to do with the man wearing the shoes.

That about sums it up, I think. Great comment, Happyfeat!

I'm sure it depends on who you ask. My better half for example doesn't mind them. I've asked her several times about it and she takes a look at me and just says something along the lines of: "They are just another piece of clothing. Why would I mind?"

I think it was elegantly summed up by Eurythmics in 1983. Sweet dreams are made of this Who am I to disagree? Travel the world and the seven seas Everybody's looking for something Some of them want to use you Some of them want to get used by you Some of them want to abuse you Some of them want to be abused

I've asked many many the same question and the answer is almost always the same: "It depends on the shoe or heel..." Women are are almost unamously againt stiletto heels for men. But when I wear 3 - 3 1/2" boots or loafers with blocky heels, I get nothing but compliments. Guys, save the stillettos for around the house and just be realistic.

I completely disagree with this sentiment, "save the stilettos for around the house"...Women respond differently to the REALITY of a man in heels versus the IDEA of a man in heels. If you just talk about the idea, there is vast response difference than when you actually live the reality right before their eyes.

and totally agree with this succint comment. Nice!~

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

I think you hit right on the nail with this statement.

Of course women would initially be completely against a guy wearing stilettos since it has been regarded as one of the most feminine symbols in the past few decades. Think about, she's probably seen something completely unexpected for the first time and her natural instinct is to dismiss the idea alltogether. However, women respond first and foremost to confidence. If you show her that you are calm and hardly apprehensive about wearing stilettos in public, i.e. acting like a confident male while wearing them, you will be able to change her perception of them. Maybe a slight change is all that you need. It all depends on the woman (and the guy wearing them) you're talking to and how open minded she is to new ideas. Naturally, if you're trying to wear them in a conservative part of your country/area/society, then it would be much harder to change minds.

I completely disagree with this sentiment, "save the stilettos for around the house"...Women respond differently to the REALITY of a man in heels versus the IDEA of a man in heels. If you just talk about the idea, there is vast response difference than when you actually live the reality right before their eyes.

and totally agree with this succint comment. Nice!~

Kneehighs, It is not often that I would disagree with you, but in this instance I think I must. There is a time and place for everything, and you have found the time and place where you can wear stiletto heels and work them superbly. Thus you confront women with the reality of a man in, specifically, stiletto heels at the right time. But do you wear stiletto heels all the time - heck no, but from the pics you have shown us of yourself, you do borrow from the fashion scene and happily do the skinny pants with boots over look. Flat heeled boots for sure so the emphasis is on the boot-over look and so it isn't too much controversy at the time. Nope you save the high stilettos heels for partying as a bit of alchol in the mix is immensely liberating.

However, for the many who do not live in a cosmopolitan city this is not an option because it is outside their society's envelope and would make them feel wrong.

I feel sorry for the many members on here who are not able to wear any of their stiletto heels out because they don't live in these cosmopolitan cities. What does surprise me however is their complete lack of willingness to adopt the cuban heel which at 3" passes as a mans heel (especially when put on a boot that is sold as a mans shoe). This knowledge that the shoe is made for a man is a huge psycological crutch that allows the wearer to walk out of the door in heels as much as you (kneehighs) do in your 4" stilettos.

Then again I also feel sorry for the members who will only consider stiletto heels and nothing else. Other than the right place and time, and these are rare (but if you know what you are doing you can make the most of them as does kneehighs) they are not going to be wearing heels with their normal daily wear. I came to this conclusion about 2 years or so ago as I was in the stiletto heels or nothing brigade myself. So I decided that the cuban heel was worth looking at and hey presto, I've been wearing between 2.75" and 3.5" heels ever since. Some are mens shoes and some are ladies that fit my foot, but none of them have an overly thin heel and so I wear them without a thought and more importantly I didn't care about what anyone else thought.

It harks back to the statement someone on HHP said (and I can't remember who to give them the credit) to look into the mirror and if you are happy stepping out in what you see, then so will everyone else be. This is so true.

Actually I do have a question and perhaps I sould start a thread to find out why - Just why is it that we men are so fixated on wearing stiletto heels. Nothing to do with looking at girls wearing stiletto heels, that is really obvious and much as been written on what the heel does for a gal. No it is why is it stilettos or nothing for men. There is a huge trade in the footwear, society knows about it, but sweeps it completely under the carpet. Talk about double standards, it seems to be a very Victorian attitude.

Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

My partner is very supportive of my HH boot wearing, but as to "liking" me wearing them....I am not so sure.....it kinda goes against the grain for a guy to want to wear womens boots as its not the "norm" but saying that she has stood by me all the way and often tells me about boots that she has seen or finds me ones that she know I might like....she is a fantastic lady and I love her for accepting me for who and what I am :winkiss:

I think I'd look silly in stillettos. Perhaps with a different body type...

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

Kikepa, This has been my point for some time now. Generalising as you must, the male body is just too large to look aesthetically right & proportionally correct when on top of a pair of stiletto heels. Its not about the height of a heel, it is about the proportion and its ability to do the job. Sure a stiletto heel can easily cope with being worn by a 200lb guy, but it looks too fragile. Change this to a cuban heel - same height - and it just looks right. If it looks right, then it is right. Women do like men who wear heels, but it has to look right. Slender guy can wear slender heels, normal guys have to wear cuban heels. Simon.

I love when my husband wears heels AND he looks awesome in stilettos (boots and pumps). I think a lot of it has to do with how/if a guy can walk in them and carry themselves when walking in them. My husband has a smaller frame, but I think even a larger built man can pull off any boots/heels he wants to if he is confident when he wears them. That's just my 2 cents! :winkiss:

Kneehighs, It is not often that I would disagree with you, but in this instance I think I must. There is a time and place for everything, and you have found the time and place where you can wear stiletto heels and work them superbly. Thus you confront women with the reality of a man in, specifically, stiletto heels at the right time. But do you wear stiletto heels all the time - heck no, but from the pics you have shown us of yourself, you do borrow from the fashion scene and happily do the skinny pants with boots over look. Flat heeled boots for sure so the emphasis is on the boot-over look and so it isn't too much controversy at the time. Nope you save the high stilettos heels for partying as a bit of alchol in the mix is immensely liberating.

However, for the many who do not live in a cosmopolitan city this is not an option because it is outside their society's envelope and would make them feel wrong.

I feel sorry for the many members on here who are not able to wear any of their stiletto heels out because they don't live in these cosmopolitan cities. What does surprise me however is their complete lack of willingness to adopt the cuban heel which at 3" passes as a mans heel (especially when put on a boot that is sold as a mans shoe). This knowledge that the shoe is made for a man is a huge psycological crutch that allows the wearer to walk out of the door in heels as much as you (kneehighs) do in your 4" stilettos.

Then again I also feel sorry for the members who will only consider stiletto heels and nothing else. Other than the right place and time, and these are rare (but if you know what you are doing you can make the most of them as does kneehighs) they are not going to be wearing heels with their normal daily wear. I came to this conclusion about 2 years or so ago as I was in the stiletto heels or nothing brigade myself. So I decided that the cuban heel was worth looking at and hey presto, I've been wearing between 2.75" and 3.5" heels ever since. Some are mens shoes and some are ladies that fit my foot, but none of them have an overly thin heel and so I wear them without a thought and more importantly I didn't care about what anyone else thought.

It harks back to the statement someone on HHP said (and I can't remember who to give them the credit) to look into the mirror and if you are happy stepping out in what you see, then so will everyone else be. This is so true.

Actually I do have a question and perhaps I sould start a thread to find out why - Just why is it that we men are so fixated on wearing stiletto heels. Nothing to do with looking at girls wearing stiletto heels, that is really obvious and much as been written on what the heel does for a gal. No it is why is it stilettos or nothing for men. There is a huge trade in the footwear, society knows about it, but sweeps it completely under the carpet. Talk about double standards, it seems to be a very Victorian attitude.

Simon.

I don't think it matters if you live in a cosmopolitan city or even if you incorporate alcohol into the equation. If you've got a strong enough presence or attitude about yourself, you are going to be good at being accepted by others while wearing heels, AND you are going to be good at everything else you do. I'm not just good at wearing heels, I'm good at everything I apply myself to.

Wearing stilettos successfully has much more to do with being confident, assertive, and positive about everything you are, do, think, and feel. If one really wants to be a successful freestyler, then they should work on their INNER progress (optimism, confidence, anti pity parties) as much as they work on their OUTWARD progress (grooming, social skills, walking elegantly in heels). This creates value for future social exchanges. And by bringing that kind of value to the table, people will generally be inclined to want to be around you, despite your heels. Your reality of being a High Value person will be contagious.

That's why Shafted's stories are so poignant in this thread. He's from a very rural town in Maine, yet enjoys the same level of acceptance that I do in New York City. If you ask me, fear about wearing heels is merely a symptom of an underlying distrust of ourselves. Shafted has a presence that goes beyond confidence. He smiles, he's got a good sense of humor, he's clean and well groomed (at least by local rural Maine's standards), and he knows how to connect with others well. These are qualities that make him an overall attractive person, which in turn make accepting his stilettos akin to "icing on the cake".

Just my two cents.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

When I wear high heels in public, I either get positive responses or just "looks" from women who see me wearing (stiletto) high heels. It seems younger women who love to wear high fashion high heels don't want to see men wearing them. Mature women compliment or say nothing at all. I've talked to some women who don't wear high heels at all, and they just say, "go ahead and have all of the pleasure and pain that goes with wearing high heels."

I've seen several surveys on line and this seems to be the trend: younger women don't see to want men wearing high heels and mature women don't seem to care.

• 2 weeks later...

recently my heels were admired by ladies who said ' i couldnt wear heels like that' (5" plat stilettos) - and they were not grannies either. Young ladies and gents have preconceived ideas often and are shy to speak out of turn or perhaps have not discovered their true selves, whereas we have. Their turn will come....

Kikepa,

If it looks right, then it is right. Women do like men who wear heels, but it has to look right. Slender guy can wear slender heels, normal guys have to wear cuban heels.

Simon.

I think you hit on something, in a roundabout way.

Let's consider:

1. When using objective measuring equipment (don't ask), heterosecual women are as attracted to beautiful females as they are to handsome males.

2. Heterosexual men, on the other hand, are attracted to beautiful women, but not handsome men.

3. Women's fashion is highly varied, and women pay more attention to the fashion of other women than they do men's fashions.

4. Men's fashion is not varied, and men pay more attention to (surprise!) the fashion of other women than they do men's fashions.

This assymetrical result seems to indicate women would naturally be more accepting of men wearing heels than would men, provided the overall package, which includes proportionality, is nicely done.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

Kikepa,

Interesting things to consider, however the following quote

"women pay more attention to the fashion of other women than they do men's fashions"

I must disagree with the initial statement you make. Women very much pay attention to mens fashion as the way a man dresses is the initial key. It is this fashion statement that serves to allow the man to make an approach or not. Get the look right and the man will be able to progress to the next step and engage in conversation to see if that backs up the look. Shoes are totally irrelevant, but they will be noticed and by choosing heels, it will generally intreague and so the door opens. Women who reject the idea are probably of a closed mind and so probably not the sort of woman you wish to talk to either.

It is identical the other way round. The look of a woman is the first thing a man takes in, but if she has an aweful voice, then she is unlikely to progress further.

Too no-one in particular - Heels are just another tool men can use in the dating game. The few on here who have realised this have told you time and time again just how effective they are to break the ice, they must be bored of telling you.

Simon.

There is no such thing as "men's fashion". Men's fashion simply makes all men look alike wearing a uniform (suit) that consists of a very drab and boring color palate. It has been this way for the past 150 years. Men had fashion back in the days of Geroge Washington and it is well known that George Washington wore high heels to his inaugural ball. So I will say it again "there is no such thing as Men's Fashion" it is just a bad joke that has been perpetrated on men by society.

Kikepa,

Interesting things to consider, however the following quote

"women pay more attention to the fashion of other women than they do men's fashions"

I must disagree with the initial statement you make. Women very much pay attention to mens fashion as the way a man dresses is the initial key. It is this fashion statement that serves to allow the man to make an approach or not. Get the look right and the man will be able to progress to the next step and engage in conversation to see if that backs up the look. Shoes are totally irrelevant, but they will be noticed and by choosing heels, it will generally intreague and so the door opens. Women who reject the idea are probably of a closed mind and so probably not the sort of woman you wish to talk to either.

It is identical the other way round. The look of a woman is the first thing a man takes in, but if she has an aweful voice, then she is unlikely to progress further.

Too no-one in particular - Heels are just another tool men can use in the dating game. The few on here who have realised this have told you time and time again just how effective they are to break the ice, they must be bored of telling you.

Simon.

Jamie :)

Fashion Freedom for Men!!