Ballet Boot Modification Question

Right, I'm back! Here's the deal:

I took my thigh high patent leather ballet boots (Devious Brand) to the only cobbler in my area. I have been told a few times by some people that I'm sure know what they're talking about that I need to get them shortened because Devious makes the heel too long.

I am terrified! The man didn't write anything down when I took the boots to him but we spoke for a minute and I told him just 3/8" and he held his finger up and asked if up to about there would be good and I said okay... I'm really scared that he might take off more than is necessary and that it will ruin the boots and that would be terrible. :w00t2:

So here's my question... What's a range of appropriate lengths to take off of a pair of ballet heels? Some have said that 3/8" is good to take off of the Devious ballet boots and some have said up to a whole inch is okay... How much did you take off your boot and how much of a difference did it make? Did you find it easier to walk in? Do you think that an inch would be too much to take off?

Also, I don't pick them up until Tuesday and it's been so long since I've been able to play in them that I'm really excited and I want to do something to keep myself busy until I get them back. Any stretches or exercises I could do to prepare?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me! ;-)

I did the same thing to one of mine and completely ruined the boot. I only took off about 3mm (1/8") but as soon as I tried to stand in it I bent the heel inwards doing irreparable damage. In hindsight I would have been better off building up the sole with a little platform...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

If you cut off too much, the weightload on the heels will come from an angle they are not designed to take and therefore, they might get damaged. Its important that the weightload comes more or less straight down on the heels and not from an angle.

I figured out the length needed to make the heels straight by setting the toe of the boot on some spacers. So far I've had zero problems with structural failure of the boots. DrShoe: Thats actually a very common failure in ballet heels, and -very- easy to do even with unmodified boots. Was your pair from Devious or another brand? 1/8" seems like a very insignificant amount considering the toe box of the boots tends to compress more then that when walking for a while.

(formerly known as "JimC")

Ahh, I never modified the TLSB pair I had, other then to replace the heel tip when it wore out ;-) I've only modified the Devious boots, which I do not think were designed with as much care and craftsmanship as the TLSB boots. Not to say all custom ballet boot makers designed their boots to be walked in. I have 3 pairs from Qualifetish/hot peppers out of Canada. They are greaty to look at, feel nice when not standing. But the heel is -not- stable enough to walk in. I think the Devious brand -needs- a little work if you plan to spend time wandering around when wearing them. Without seeing your pair of LSB boots in person I cannot guess why they had a problem.

(formerly known as "JimC")

I took about 1/4 inch off mine, though I think I could have gone a little more. If you do go more, you may have to drill out the hole the tip shank goes in. I've noticed the heel on one of mine is loosening at what seems to be the junction between the steel rod that's the last few inches of the heel, and the upper portion of the heel. I've been reluctant to take off the leather covering, but may do so, because if there's a way to fix it, it will probably be easier if it doesn't break down more. With the 1/4 inch off, and those L4 Softpointe Gel Toe Pads, I can walk around the house pretty well, though my ability varies from day to day.

I'm still so very worried... What if he takes half an inch off? Let alone a whole inch?! I'm still paying my friend back for these and I have other things I have to purchase like school books and paying rent! I don't want to have to go through the ordeal of purchasing -another- pair and having the new pair cut down just because this cobbler guy cuts too much off... How much do you think would be too much off? An inch would probably ruin the shoes, right? My goodness I'm SO anxious right now.

I found that I had a problem with my Ballet heels in that when wearing them the heel was not vertical because the heels were too long, so pushing me forwards. If you place to sole area of the toe on a flat surface, I used the edge of a desk, allow the heel to come over the edge of the chosen surface then using a spirit level held against the straight part of the heel, when the spirit level shows the heel to be vertical mark the heel at the appropriate point using the level surface as the marker, that is where you trim the heel to. Up to this point, I was finding walking in my Ballet Boots practicaly impossible, but now, almost easy.

Hi on your toes. I also use the Leo's toe pads and find that I can last 3 hr's before my toes can't stand any more. I do a lot of walking/standing in my 1025 ankle boots. Just the other day I was hanging cabinets and trimming out a window while wearing my boots. I found them great and I didn't have to ust the step stool. I'll have to try them while I am painting the walls/ ceiling. Being 6'6" instantley is wonderfull. Dr Who 3

Still very very very nervous! Is there a way to add back on if the man takes too much off?? I pick them up tomorrow afternoon, probably right before work... (I can only imagine what wearing them to work as a waitress would be like!) Thanks so much for all of your help, everyone! It's so good to be back. ;-)

It seems to me that HHfanatic has put his toe on the problem. Essentially you're having to deal with geometry as well as height. Or as HHfanatic put it:

If you cut off too much, the weightload on the heels will come from an angle they are not designed to take and therefore, they might get damaged. Its important that the weightload comes more or less straight down on the heels and not from an angle.

Once again, you need to keep the angle of the heel or the way the heel takes the weight as nearly vertical as possible. Thus you have automatically limited yourself to walking indoors or on very flat surfaces. But the geometry on that weightload is critical. If you change that by even a few degrees you'll almost certainly ruin the boots. Perhaps the idea of building up the toe area with some type of platform is worth considering.

Good luck.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

The heels are a bit scuffed up from the clamps and the material covering the heels is a bit wrinkly,

what a poor job, did you repair man do this damage? also the picture you posted up is SHOCKING! the heels haven't even been shaped! As long as your happy thats fine, but I'd be considering a new repairer! ;-)

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i wouldnt ever cut anything off the heels of your ballet boots. instead, add anything from half an inch to three quarters of an inch, ormaybe even one inch to the front of the toe box by gluing a black solid rubber doorstop onto the front of the toe box. this will effectively tilt the whole boot slightly backwards towards the verticle position, and make standing and walking in ballet boots much easier. dont forget to buy two pairs of the purple gel rubber toe pads to wear inside your boots. so much more comfortable.