New Countdown presenter - Rachel Riley

Its on Channel 4 Replay for the next month as it was last nights episode, they dont show the heels much either unfortunately but she doesnt stand well in them that high... Andi

Smile and the whole world smiles with you, Fart and your on your own!!!

As someone not from the UK, I haven't heard of neither this show nor the lady. But from what I've seen and read in articles and on Youtube so far, it looks to me like she tries to copy her predecessor with respect to dressing and shoes ... but, apparently she's not used to those kind of heels, so that many commentators write that it looks kind of awkward here and there.

In general, even though I really like these outfits and heels, I am not really very supportive of shows where they very boldly dress up a woman for the only intention of attracting male viewers, particularly when the woman's function in the show is rather low level. That's something like those "showgirls" from various Italian shows, where accidental nip slips due to their extremely low cut tops and activities during the shows, such as playing soccer fulfill the same purpose.

In other words: I prefer heels as part of a feminine outfit that at the same time makes the woman look powerful and self-confident much better than this kind of scenario here.

I caught a couple of shows so far. She's young and pretty, nice dresses short above the knee/mid thigh, and when the camera catches her full length good heels but always a long shot. not and never been a "fan" of the show, just occasional viewer. Al

• 2 weeks later...

My mother (89 and in good shape mentally) watches Countdown every day and does all the puzzles - good for her! When visiting her recently, I watched with her and agree that Rachel is quite appealing. I was inspired to record several shows to carry out further analysis! I can't say that Rachel's shoes are my favourite style; she seems to wear the same pair of black courts (with a heel around 5.5" and a hidden platform of perhaps 1") most of the time. She also seems a little 'leaden' in her shoes and moves rather awkwardly - but she isn't the only one to find that type of platform shoe a problem. Five inch stilettos (no platform) would be much better. I did find that there will be at least two occasions per programme to see Rachel full-length and moving in her shoes, usually at the beginning of each set of four 'word' puzzles, as she is asked for the first letter. Otherwise, she will usually be seen either close-up above the waist or in oblique long shot. I preferred Carol Vordermann, who I understand was known at university as 'Boots' because she often wore thigh-length types. Anyone got any pics of that?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Rachel was wearing a greater variety of shoes recently, mostly high and stylish courts and sandals, with or without platforms. On at least one occasion, Jeff Stelling has commented on her shoes at the end of the programme - actually rather chunky sandals with a big platform (not really to my taste). We were treated to a close-up, with Rachel saying that they were comfortable. But I recall that Rachel has commented elsewhere that she is happy to wear such high shoes for the duration of the programme (and has some sitting-down time during it), which implies that she would not necessarily be at ease wearing such heels in her normal activities, at least for any length of time. Countdown is now on a summer break and it will be interesting to see what Rachel wears when she returns - not kitten heels, one hopes.

• 3 months later...

Rachel has an excellent fashion sense and always wears great shoes with her dresses but is it just me or are her mini dresses getting shorter and shorter, they will be up to her armpits soon lol

I was under the impression that most TV programs had "dressers" that chose the outfits presenters wore on set. Perhaps I'm wrong and cast members in the UK wear their own clothing. But, if they do, I am not aware that they do. :wave:

But, I have to agree with Toffee17 that however and whoever selects the outfits really has good taste and I also love the shoes.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Yes and no, Bubba. I’m sure that most presenters get help with choosing clothes (whether they want it or not!) but I don’t think they are denied significant input, let alone forced to wear something they dislike. Some (such as newsreaders) generally get an allowance towards their overall clothing budget. They wear their own clothes, with the expectation that they will look smart and keep up appearances. And those presenters whose clothes are bought for them will often buy (or steal!) their favourite cast-off TV outfits and keep them for personal wear later, if suitable.

This article in the Daily Mail reveals a little of Rachel’s background: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1314363/Rachel-Riley-I-good-figures-Im-rubbish-making-wardrobe-add-up.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz10WKxvJBe

If you cannot download it, these two statements are of interest:

‘With a lot of help from the show's stylist, I now stick to smart, simple and feminine dresses. About twice a year, the stylist and I go shopping on Regent Street, as I get a clothing allowance for Countdown.’

‘I have about 20 pairs of my own [shoes] and 20 in my Countdown wardrobe, and my rule is never to buy anything that I can’t walk in. I love shoes with a quirky edge and heels for work. I really like Kurt Geiger and Zara shoes, and I’ve just bought a great pair of patent animal print heels from Russell & Bromley.’

Personally, I think that Rachel can look very attractive but her skirts can be too short and some of her shoes are somewhat clumpy. She has said (as above and elsewhere) that she likes high heels and has no problems wearing them on set. However, she does sometimes look a little unbalanced – but possibly that is because she does not do much other than stand or move a couple of paces whilst presenting. She may well be more graceful if walking around normally, which we don’t really get to see (a pity!).

Rachel’s predecessor, Carol Vordermann, was pictured recently with her pretty daughter at a function. Both were in glamorous outfits and shoes and looked great.

After the demise of the legend that is Richard Whitely (R.I.P) Countdown went down the tubes. Rachel Riley isn't a patch on Vorderman. I don't know why Rachel was chosen. She has no class and looks really awkward. She dresses like she's going to a cheesy high street disco. I prefer the more demure but quietly confident types.

Don't get me wrong. Rachel Riley's attractive, but she would need a brain transplant for me to fancy her.

Here's a classic clip of Countdown

Enjoy.

Regards,

Ben

post-9545-13352292844_thumb.jpg

post-9545-133522928443_thumb.jpg

post-9545-133522928445_thumb.jpg

post-9545-133522928448_thumb.jpg

I agree with you, Benno, that Countdown is a shadow of its former self. Rachel is a lightweight and Jeff Stelling is often cringe-making - he should stick to sports reporting (where I would be sure to avoid seeing him). Richard Whitely was excellent but I thought that both Des O'Connor and Des Lynam were noble successors. Still, Countdown keeps my mum (91 and a regular viewer) mentally active, so I should be grateful for that. It's always good to see Carol V; she has looks and brains and a personality too (albeit sometimes a little conceited).

I agree with you, Benno, that Countdown is a shadow of its former self. Rachel is a lightweight and Jeff Stelling is often cringe-making - he should stick to sports reporting (where I would be sure to avoid seeing him). Richard Whitely was excellent but I thought that both Des O'Connor and Des Lynam were noble successors.

Still, Countdown keeps my mum (91 and a regular viewer) mentally active, so I should be grateful for that.

It's always good to see Carol V; she has looks and brains and a personality too (albeit sometimes a little conceited).

I agree entirely - although I do think that Rachel looks wonderful.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

After the demise of the legend that is Richard Whitely (R.I.P) Countdown went down the tubes. Rachel Riley isn't a patch on Vorderman. I don't know why Rachel was chosen. She has no class and looks really awkward. She dresses like she's going to a cheesy high street disco. I prefer the more demure but quietly confident types.

Don't get me wrong. Rachel Riley's attractive, but she would need a brain transplant for me to fancy her.

Here's a classic clip of Countdown

Enjoy.

Regards,

Ben

Just had to throw this in there.

Speaking of Carol Vorderman, love her overall jeans and boots look in this short clip:

Just had to throw this in there.

Speaking of Carol Vorderman, love her overall jeans and boots look in this short clip:

That reminds me: Carol was apparently known as 'Boots' Vorderman in her student days as she regularly wore boots, including thigh boots. I wonder if any pics exist?

• 7 months later...

Today (13th july) Rachel was wearing some hot pink stilettos to go with her pink dress. I think she is hot and people should let her grow into her role. Carol had 20 years to get her look right

Sorry, but after more than two years Rachel seems incapable of being much more than a bimbo with a maths degree. And her outfits are rarely flattering - skirts and dresses too short and too much platform on her shoes. But I suppose she has to dumb-down her act in order not to emphasise Jeff Stelling's banality and lack of charisma. Susie Dent and some of the guests outshine the two of them regularly.

Current press reports suggest that the audience for Countdown has often shrunk to as little as 10% of that in its Whitely/Vorderman heyday and that Jeff is considering leaving. I can't say that I'm surprised.

If you want to see her shoes they tend to do a long shot at the beginning of the show (ie the first round) and also the first round after an advert break.

Yes, and there is often a shot or two across the floor at the beginning of the programme which give a full-length view of Rachel.