Internet Cable improvments in London Area

Hi there,

If like me, you're using the internet cable from Blueyonder in the area of London, here's how to boost up the speed (it's now blasting for me !)

I've been very disappointed when I signed up for the internet cable from Blueyonder, it was so slow and impossible to use from 5.30Pm to 10pm, even with my own proxy server. But this has changed a lot since I forced the Internet Settings to use Gatwick's proxy. In your Internet Explorer's settings (Connection tab), specify cache-gat.cableinet.co.uk with the port number 8080

You will see the difference !

I have my own proxy server at home so I chained mine (upstream array) with Gatwick's and a backup route to Croydon in case of failure.

For more informations about Blueyonder's proxies, go to :

http://www.proxyinfo.co.uk/index.htm

Happy surfing !

Hmmm, I am so spoiled when it comes to connection speed. :smile: I have a blazingly fast cable-connection even without using proxies (have seen speeds up to 4Mbit/s)

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

Firefox and I will probably sit in a corner and cry at the moment. Us two poor souls are still on V90 dialup B) Salvation may be round the corner for me. I have investigated the difference between NTL cable and BT's cable. Both have the same downstream of 512k but NTL's upstream is only 128k compared with BT's 256K and both are the same price :smile: I know which one I'm going for B) But until that day I will suffer along with countless other users in the dialup doldrums

Ah, Jeff is lucky.... 4mbps is a dream that I won't see over here. The stuff is NTL is having lots of debts now, so I don't expect them to massively spend money on network equipments. I had to call them today for a billing issue, and gosh.... How many numbers did I have to dial before getting a sale representative. I saw the DSL (from Mistral ISP) in Central London and I believe it's working great, much better than the cable ! But what can I say, I "only" pay £25 a month for the cable Internet...

I pay about £28 a month, not to much for what I'm getting at the moment. But it's probably all just a matter of time. Cable is a shared medium, so I guess I'm lucky that not to many people in my neighbourhood have cable-internet yet.

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

I paid 75£ for the ADSL starter kit and have been on line since for a 24/7 flat rate of 22£ per month. Belgium seems cheaper for everything. I think that's the real reason so many Dutch families move over here, not only for the property tax evasion.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

I guess being a student has it's advantages. I pay $6 per semester for connecting to the Swedish University Network, 100Mbit line. _________________ this space is unintentionally filled. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Trolldeg on 2002-02-07 11:02 ]</font>

• 2 weeks later...

You lucky things, living in the back of beyond you're lucky if the locals even know what a telephone is B) (only joking!) I'll just have to struggle with V90 myself but it's good to know i'm not alone :smile:

Man is born in freedom, but soon becomes enslaved, in cages of convention from the cradle to the grave - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds/Sung by David Essex

I work for the Cable Company and I have discuonted Cable service, including high speed internet for two computers. It's also the company with 80% of high speed users in Western Canada. I think we might be okay at what we do! Speed? It's great, when I am not trying to use a music sharing service. Web sites fly open all the time. But I live downtown, where all the good fibre is and more nodes than you can fit in a truck. Life is good sometimes... Everyone should use cable as often as possible, yes. And if you don't have cable in your city, find some investors and let me know, maybe our company can expand outside of Canada and the U.S. Wouldn't that be wonderful...

For music/video sharing, I use Morpheus mostly, but I've discovered that it went down a couple of nights ago, and hasn't been up since. Anybody know what's going on here?

I have a nice NTL cable modem... much better than BT dial-up. the BT ADSL isn't the same price as NTL, yet, but it will be soon. Cable modems have better technology than ADSL, and ADSL is limited to 2mbits, since it's only over copper lines.

I have my own Linux router which shares the stuff round my house, and also acts as a http/ftp/smtp/file server. I'm soon to have a dedicated linux games server, if anyone is interested?

SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!