Out and about in noisy heels

squirrelheels

Thanks for the encouragement :lol:

The heels I wore were my 3.5in ankle boots (which can be found on my web link below). They're really nice boots, which is why I wear them! :(

I wore them again today, and they got noticed by a lot more people... I was walking to the bus stop this morning through the usual footpath, and at the end of the path was my friend's girlfriend (neither of them know about the heels). I don't really know her at all, and I don't think she associated me with my friend, which is probably good, but she CERTAINLY gave my heels a good staring! Ah well, some people can't help but be curious I suppose! The heels she was wearing were nothing by comparison! But then, she was in school uniform. It can be forgiven, just.

Again, they got noticed quite a bit around and about college... it seems that soon I'll be expected to be seen in heels, and that my trainers will be the unusual footwear for me!

And if that's the case, then yay for me! :)

I'm starting to really enjoy this the more and more I venture out!

I had a driving lesson after college today... sufficed to say, I didn't drive in heels. Not such a good idea perhaps for someone in my learner position!

SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

I wore these Payless copy of Lee boots one day, and I stopped at the Post Office to drop some letters off. Now this place has very high ceilings and a marble floor, so any noise relay echoes around. Now these boots have a hallow plastic heel, and when I walked across the marble floor they made some serious noise!! :lol: I got some funny looks but nobody said any thing. :(

Posted Image

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

How many months ago did you buy those, hoverfly? What size? PayLess hasn't sold anything like that for at least 6 months that I have been able to determine. :lol:

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

I have the same pair in a size 10... they were given to me by my friend who found them to not have enough padding for her feet, though they are fine on mine. They're still for sale, lot 22165. Payless is currently running a buy one, get one half off sale and I highly recommend lot 22927 as well - most comfortable thing I've ever had on my feet.

I had a recent experience out and about in noisy heels.

I don't go out very often in public wearing heels, and when I do they are usually something like my pair of black Payless boots with chunky 3 1/2" heels. Up until a couple of weeks ago they were shown on the Payless web site, but their selection of boots is diminishing quickly as they bring in the summer styles. The web site described that boot as having a 2 1/2" heel, but in a size 12, the heel actually measures 3 1/2". I guess to preserve the proportion and style of the boot, the heel height increases in the larger sizes.

I was recently in Florida for a short vacation, and while there did some shopping. In the Florida Mall in Orlando, I found a reasonably well stocked Payless store and I tried on a few pairs of heeled shoes and boots. At home I usually wear black shoes with black trousers, but there I was wearing very light beige slacks. For the first time I thought I'd try a color other than black. I found this pair that fit me perfectly:

Posted Image

The heel is fairly thin with a sort of square cross section. The heel tip is almost square, slightly narrower side to side than it is from front to back. The description in the Payless online catalog says the heel is 3 1/2", but I measured it and it's exactly 4" in size 12.

I went back to my car, changed into the new boots and wore them back into the mall. Unlike my chunky heels, these boots made a noticeable clicking sound on the marble floors. I felt self-conscious at first but the feeling gradually disappeared as I realized that no one was paying any attention. I think I might have attracted more attention if I were the least bit clumsy with them, but I've had enough practice over the years and they fit so well that I was able to walk very naturally and confidently in them.

The Florida Mall is quite large and I spent about two hours that afternoon browsing in my heels. My slacks stopped at a point just below the top of the heel, so I'm sure a number of people had to have noticed them but very few seemed to react in any way. There were a few exceptions. As I passed a men's wear store, a youngish male clerk stared for a second, then spoke to a colleague, and they both came out of the store and watched me walk down the broad corridor until I was out of sight. The best reaction I got was from a female mall security officer. She was a fairly large young black lady in a smart rent-a-cop uniform. She walked past in the opposite direction, then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw her do a classic double-take. She stopped in her tracks, turned around, leaned forward with her hands on her hips and stared with her mouth wide open! I just gave her a huge grin and walked on, leaving her staring after me.

I'm not sure if I will ever use those boots much now that I'm back home, but it was great fun while it lasted. Now it's back to black!

I would say some time in December last year. They are a size 12.

How many months ago did you buy those, hoverfly? What size? PayLess hasn't sold anything like that for at least 6 months that I have been able to determine. :lol:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

How surprising, I bought exactly the same boot today in black. I saw the brown at the Payless that I went to and thought they looked really nice, but chicked out and stuck with black. Because a second pair was half off, I bought a different bootie in a dark brown.

Go gently through life.

As Himark wrote: "I think I might have attracted more attention if I were the least bit clumsy with them, but I've had enough practice over the years and they fit so well that I was able to walk very naturally and confidently in them." I agree, I have to navigate around pupils and other teachers while carrying my brimming full jug of coffee several times a day from the "cafeteria" to my own desk, without spilling a drop. -If you "stumble" around in a pair of heels that you are not adjusted to wear it is quite obvious that you *will* be noticed, while you might "get away" with a lot of "fancy" heels if you are able to wear them in a natural way. TallSwede

I couldn't agree more. Wearing heels in public always involves attention whether one is male or female; noisy heels doubly so. The key factor is confidence. If one is confident one transfers the uncertainty as to whether the situation is "right" from the wearer to the watcher. And anyway, noisy heels are fun!

Amazingly, the only times I've "stumbled" is in my 3in wedge loafers! They're the most stable shoes ever... Maybe it's just because I get complacent thinking that I can handle *anything* in them... Unfortunately I've normally done this when getting off a bus, or when there are people walking behind me! Bah! I can cope with my noisy (much more unstable) heels much better... That is illogical... :lol: SH

Not illogical at all. If you are wearing unstable shoes, you are forced to concentrate on what you are doing, but with comfortable shoes, you tend to forget about them, and when you're concentrating on something else, it becomes easier to stumble.

Actually, when I think about it, I've stumbled in a pair of 3" wedges as well. That particular pair makes almost no noise because they have a rubbery layer on the bottom of the sole and heel, but that's also the reason they can make you stumble. The rubber tends to be just a bit "sticky" and sometimes will "grab" on some surfaces or uneven tiles, paving stones, etc.

Ahhh... the fall of the 3 inch wedges! Well, I manage to cope much better on my 3.5in ankle boots (noisy) or my 5in loafers (quiet)... which I've worn for the past two days. It's really odd... but I suppose it does make sense that you concentrate less when wearing easier shoes... SH