The Jaunts of JeffB!

JeffB

10/18/2008

While I don't get out in heels as much as I'd like, certainly not as much as, say, HappyFeat, but I'm doing what I can in my own way. In any event, I thought I'd start catalouging all my outings here, starting with a trip I took to the mall yesterday.

This was pretty much a spur of the moment idea to go out since I haven't done so in a while (in fact, I can't remember the last time I went out), so I put together what I thought was a sharp looking outfit for my little trip to mall where I do the bulk of my heeling. Below is a picture of said outfit:

Posted Image

A black leather jacket over a black turtleneck, jeans and, in something of a departure for me since I've never done this previously, black patent pumps. A couple of weeks ago, I bought a pair of Payless Lance Flex pumps which I think look super sharp, so I decided to wear them to the mall, something I've never done before. After arriving at the mall, it took a few minutes to muster up my courage before getting out of the car, and I found that humorously ironic. After all, prior to yesterday, I've been out and about in skirts, including a trip in one to New York City for Pete's sake, and yet, it took a wee bit of effort to expose myself to the world once again in women's shoes. Taking a few deep breaths, I left the car and went into the mall for my adventure.

Being in the King of Prussia Mall, one of the largest malls on the East Coast and in the country, I was exposed to a huge crowd of people of all ages, as is my usual procedure, I walked through the mall at a slow, leisurely pace, standing tall, posture perfect, acting for all the world like I belonged there like everyone else. Given the length of my inseam, there was no doubt that people saw I was wearing pumps, but I didn't care. You see, you absolutely CANNOT wear high heels in public and worry about being seen. Like it or not, you WILL be seen, you WILL be stared at, you WILL get double takes and wide-eyed stares, you WILL be pointed at like an oddity, and, on occcasion, you WILL get snickers, giggles or chuckles. There's just no avoiding that. period!

Lunch at the food court was a mob scene as it was crowded, but I remained calm, cool and collected as I stood in line at Chick-Fil-A for their chicken salad sandwich which I love. After getting my order, I went to a table to eat, sitting down, I'm sure everyone around me could see the heels, but I didn't care, I just took my time eating and enjoying my meal. This was followed by more strolling to my favorite places to shop, mainly for comics, books, magazines and DVD's, covering pretty much the entire length of the mall, and, for the most part, I went ignored, if anyone stared or gaped (and sure that was the case), I ignored them. At one point, I sat on a bench and crossed my legs (like a woman) so people could see my noticeably shiny pumps. I didn't care.

After some three or four hours, I called it a day as I had to get back to the house to watch Penn State play Michigan. All in all, it was good outing, and an uneventual outing as well. It's not often I've gone out in pumps, but I must say it was a goodly amount of fun.

• Like 2

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

JeffB-

I am looking forward to following this thread.

The outfit looks great, as expected. I’m sure you know my recommendation before I say it but, for the rest of the community, it sure would look great with your thigh boots. :winkiss:

Your comment “you absolutely CANNOT wear high heels in public and worry about being seen. Like it or not, you WILL be seen, you WILL be stared at, you WILL get double takes and wide-eyed stares, you WILL be pointed at like an oddity, and, on occasion, you WILL get snickers, giggles or chuckles. There's just no avoiding that. period!” is absolutely right on the mark. The rest of the advise is - so quit worrying about being seen and enjoy your heels! It is instructive to new heelers that even JeffB finds that “it took a few minutes to muster up my courage before getting out of the car.” And that you found it “humorously ironic” illustrates that you have both feet planted firmly on the ground (physically and metaphorically, even if they are in heels).

Like I said, I am looking forward to following this thread.

:nervous:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

While I don't get out in heels as much as I'd like, certainly not as much as, say, HappyFeat, but I'm doing what I can in my own way. In any event, I thought I'd start catalouging all my outings here, starting with a trip I took to the mall yesterday.

Yes, I admit that I have gotten out a lot recently, which has been way too much fun. I have been accused of being a bit obsessive, to which I reply, "I an not, let's go shopping!"

Anyway, I have you to thank for so much positive reinforcement and support that have allowed me to grow and develop as a person - a person on high heels that is.

And from my perspective, this thread is looooooooong overdue.

Being in the King of Prussia Mall, one of the largest malls on the East Coast and in the country, I was exposed to a huge crowd of people of all ages, as is my usual procedure, I walked through the mall at a slow, leisurely pace, standing tall, posture perfect, acting for all the world like I belonged there like everyone else. Given the length of my inseam, there was no doubt that people saw I was wearing pumps, but I didn't care. You see, you absolutely CANNOT wear high heels in public and worry about being seen. Like it or not, you WILL be seen, you WILL be stared at, you WILL get double takes and wide-eyed stares, you WILL be pointed at like an oddity, and, on occcasion, you WILL get snickers, giggles or chuckles. There's just no avoiding that. period!

I agree entirely with this thought, which got me to thinking...If heels come in so many styles, colors, etc. they are designed to be noticed. Unfortunately, when a man wears them, they are accompanied by the collateral shock reaction. As Johnieheel said at the NE Ohio heel meet, its just human for people to react in strange ways the firts time they see anything. In the end, its something that you either get past or you don't, but it will always bee there.

After some three or four hours, I called it a day as I had to get back to the house to watch Penn State play Michigan. All in all, it was good outing, and an uneventual outing as well. It's not often I've gone out in pumps, but I must say it was a goodly amount of fun.

You could have stayed out a bit longer, since I assume you are a Penn State fan (King of Prussia doens't seem like a hot bed for Michigan fans). The first half really didn't appear to be much you would have wanted to see.

Your outfit looked great! I love the pumps with the jeans. Way to show off your heels! Now it would look good as well with a killer pair of knee boots...

Thanks for the thread, and the story!

• Like 1

Style is built from the ground up!

Jeff... You are the man! I really liked the outfit you wore with your high heels. You looked great! And yes, I'm sure with a man your size seen in public wearing high heels, you will get some reactions. But I love your attitude and you like many others inspire all of us to wear high heels in public in many different places to enjoy all of the reactions we receive. Congratulations on your outing and best wishes on future outings.

10/18/2008

...black patent pumps. A couple of weeks ago, I bought a pair of Payless Lance Flex pumps which I think look super sharp, so I decided to wear them to the mall, something I've never done before...

JeffB, how were the Flex pumps to wear? I bought a pair of them also, thinking they'd be a comfortable pair of heels if I ever had to wear ones for a longer time.

Have you been to KofP in a more discreet outfit? I'm hoping that boots and long-length jeans will provide enough concealment to be able to wear them in a mall without extra attention.

Thanks for the comments, my friends! I greatly appreciate them!

TBG: I'm glad you liked the idea of this thread which, admittedly, I should've thought of doing long ago. Oh, well, better late than never. Heh! Yeah, the irony of what I experienced in my car yesterday, mustering the nerve to step out after my trip in New York made me chuckle because I was less concerned about being seen in a skirt than in high heels. Go figure. Yeah, I still come down with nervousness, even after all these years. Guess that's just a normal reaction. By the by, the thigh boots ARE coming!

HappyFeat: In a way, reading your remarkable adventures spurred me to create this thread, so you inspired me just as much as I inspired you.

I agree entirely with this thought, which got me to thinking...If heels come in so many styles, colors, etc. they are designed to be noticed. Unfortunately, when a man wears them, they are accompanied by the collateral shock reaction. As Johnieheel said at the NE Ohio heel meet, its just human for people to react in strange ways the firts time they see anything. In the end, its something that you either get past or you don't, but it will always bee there.

Brilliant commentary, my friend. Couldn't have said it any better myself, and you're absolutely right, for men to wear women's shoes in public, even sedate colors like black or brown means we ARE going to be noticed, either for good or for bad, it's up to us to determine which way that will go. As for the Penn State-Michigan game, yeah, that first half was butt ugly for the Nits, but they rebounded nicely in the second half when it mattered most.

roniheels: Thank you! I do as best I can! Having the right attitude is the only way to go when it comes to what we do, otherwise, we'd all still be deep in our closets, never getting to enjoy the joy that comes from wearing heels in public.

10/19/2008:

A short outing to break in the Payless Jamie pumps I bought yesterday. Here's a couple of pics of my outfit:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Black leather jacket over a gray turtleneck, jeans, off-black knee highs and the Jamie pumps. I motored a few miles to a small strip mall in the Western 'burbs and walked to a Borders bookstore to hunt for the new Sports Illustrated. Wearing the pumps is quite enjoyable, the shiny faux croc print is really cool, the rounded toe makes the shoes comfortable to wear and the thicker, 4 1/2 heel makes a pleasantly sharp, loud sound on pavement, which is how I like my heels to sound as the pumps are easy to walk in, and that made me feel great.

Strolling through the bookstore, no one gave me the time of day, even though I stood out height-wise. Twenty minutes later, I was out the door, but instead of going home for lunch and NFL time, I had some spare time for a side trip to a larger nearby mall for a little wandering. Unlike King of Prussia, the Springfield Mall was smaller, and on a late Sunday morning, quiet in terms of crowds, so I was able to stroll through the mall and, of course, no one made an issue about the shoes I had on, the heels noticeably loud on the tile floor.

Overall, I was in that mall for a solid half hour before I decided to call it a day and head back home. Two outings on back to back days, not so much as a peep from bystanders, not that I expected any, still, it would've been nice for someone to ask about my footwear so I could engage in conversation. Oh, well, perhaps next time.

• Like 1

JeffB, you are the man! Being a huge pumplover myself, I would love to do what you are doing. However, unless I can beat my pride, I just cannot leave the house. Im not sure if things are different in the US to the UK, but no doubt as soon as I hit the streets in the UK, there will be camera phones targeting me from all directions.

10/19/2008:

A short outing to break in the Payless Jamie pumps I bought yesterday. Here's a couple of pics of my outfit:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r96/JeffCB2006/leatherandjamie-1.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r96/JeffCB2006/leatherandjamie-2.jpg

Black leather jacket over a gray turtleneck, jeans, off-black knee highs and the Jamie pumps. I motored a few miles to a small strip mall in the Western 'burbs and walked to a Borders bookstore to hunt for the new Sports Illustrated. Wearing the pumps is quite enjoyable, the shiny faux croc print is really cool, the rounded toe makes the shoes comfortable to wear and the thicker, 4 1/2 heel makes a pleasantly sharp, loud sound on pavement, which is how I like my heels to sound as the pumps are easy to walk in, and that made me feel great.

Strolling through the bookstore, no one gave me the time of day, even though I stood out height-wise. Twenty minutes later, I was out the door, but instead of going home for lunch and NFL time, I had some spare time for a side trip to a larger nearby mall for a little wandering. Unlike King of Prussia, the Springfield Mall was smaller, and on a late Sunday morning, quiet in terms of crowds, so I was able to stroll through the mall and, of course, no one made an issue about the shoes I had on, the heels noticeably loud on the tile floor.

Overall, I was in that mall for a solid half hour before I decided to call it a day and head back home. Two outings on back to back days, not so much as a peep from bystanders, not that I expected any, still, it would've been nice for someone to ask about my footwear so I could engage in conversation. Oh, well, perhaps next time.

Two days in a row! You are inspiring to us all. I have not walked through a large busy mall yet, just some of the smaller ones. I love Borders, so that is my next goal to go in high heels.We all love the stories of your experiences. Please keep them coming, and all of us that wear high heels publicly will do the same. Thank you again.

• Like 1

Two days in a row, and you said that you don't get out as much as well...some others at HHPlace! This is why I started chronicling my "adventures" in a thread- not only to share my experiences with others, but to challenge myself to try new, and different things. I am so happy to read your perspectives and experiences.

Great outfit! I love the fall when you can break out the leather jacket, which may be my favorite street heeling accessory. You wear it well!

I have found bookstores to be GREAT places to heel. First, at the risk of sounding elitist, literate people are far less likely to take it upon themselves to harass or harm somebody different. Second, they are quite and calm which, for me at least, allows me to relax and enjoy the experience.

... it would've been nice for someone to ask about my footwear so I could engage in conversation. Oh, well, perhaps next time.

This is such a great point! Isn't being asked about wearing heels the holy grail of street heeling? I know so many guys who post would die if they attract too much attention, but for me there is nothing better than somebody commenting on my heels. This may make me an exhibitionist or something, but I do love my shoes and love to talk about them (over 700 posts here should be a sign of that) and a civilized discussion or connection with another person just makes the experience all the more rewarding. I think this is why I have been heeling so much!

In fact, at the recent NE Ohio heel meet it was wonderful to watch Johnieheel talk to so many people about heels and why he (we) wear them. I know from other postings that kneehighs and roniheels often interact with lots of people. As I said, this may be the ultimate street heeling experience!

Good food for thought! I look forward to more.

BTW, congratulations on 2500 posts!

• Like 1

JeffB, how were the Flex pumps to wear? I bought a pair of them also, thinking they'd be a comfortable pair of heels if I ever had to wear ones for a longer time.

Well, I found the Lance pumps to have been comfortable to wear. I bought mine in wide width which helped a lot in terms of comfort.

Have you been to KofP in a more discreet outfit? I'm hoping that boots and long-length jeans will provide enough concealment to be able to wear them in a mall without extra attention.

Well, to be perfectly honest, I don't worry too much about being discreet on my outings, but long jeans with boots do work well in terms of concealment. However, if your heels are particularly loud, then concealment can go down the drain. But that's just my opinion.

• Like 1

Two days in a row, and you said that you don't get out as much as well...some others at HHPlace! This is why I started chronicling my "adventures" in a thread- not only to share my experiences with others, but to challenge myself to try new, and different things. I am so happy to read your perspectives and experiences.

Because of work, I'm kept plenty busy during the week, so weekends, days off and holidays are the only time I can enjoy outings in heels. Therefore, I try to take advantage of whatever opportinities that come my way.

Great outfit! I love the fall when you can break out the leather jacket, which may be my favorite street heeling accessory. You wear it well!

Many thanks! I do as best I can! I also own a women's leather coat and I'm waiting for just the right opportunity to wear that out!

I have found bookstores to be GREAT places to heel. First, at the risk of sounding elitist, literate people are far less likely to take it upon themselves to harass or harm somebody different. Second, they are quite and calm which, for me at least, allows me to relax and enjoy the experience.

Quite right! Bookstores were among the very first places I haunted in the early days of my public outings in heels. They're quiet, no ruckus and, in places like Borders, I can enjoy a cup of tea while people see me in my heels. Heh!

This is such a great point! Isn't being asked about wearing heels the holy grail of street heeling? I know so many guys who post would die if they attract too much attention, but for me there is nothing better than somebody commenting on my heels. This may make me an exhibitionist or something, but I do love my shoes and love to talk about them (over 700 posts here should be a sign of that) and a civilized discussion or connection with another person just makes the experience all the more rewarding. I think this is why I have been heeling so much!

I couldn't agree more! I so want to talk to curious people who ask me while I'm wearing heels, but the chance never comes to pass. I'm sure there are curious people who see me and would like to know why but never approach me. Don't know why, it's not like I have three heads and breathe fire, I like to think I'm an approachable fellow who wants to explain my passion to others. Hopefully that will happen one day.

BTW, congratulations on 2500 posts!

WOW! I only just noticed that! Cool!

• Like 2

Well, I found the Lance pumps to have been comfortable to wear. I bought mine in wide width which helped a lot in terms of comfort..

I got mine in a wide width also, they're actually too big for me (something I never thought I'd find in an off the shelf woman's shoe). I ended up buying some 'shoe halters' (foot pads) which once I get them correctly positioned and installed, should make for a great fit. I tried a 12W and 13 reg, both too tight.

Well, to be perfectly honest, I don't worry too much about being discreet on my outings, but long jeans with boots do work well in terms of concealment. However, if your heels are particularly loud, then concealment can go down the drain. But that's just my opinion.

Based on your postings and pictures, being discreet never seemed to be something you are trying to be, but it didn't hurt to ask! I agree that clacking from the heels while walking could draw just as much attention to them. I'd think that busier mall would be better, as in a crowd, it would be tough to localize heel noise as coming from you. I don't go to malls that much to begin with, so I'm not sure how crowded they tend to be.

It's great to read about your adventures.

• Like 1

Based on your postings and pictures, being discreet never seemed to be something you are trying to be, but it didn't hurt to ask! I agree that clacking from the heels while walking could draw just as much attention to them. I'd think that busier mall would be better, as in a crowd, it would be tough to localize heel noise as coming from you. I don't go to malls that much to begin with, so I'm not sure how crowded they tend to be.

Well, I've always been of the opinion that the busier and more crowded a mall is, the better your chances of going unobserved, even if your heels are as loud as gunshots when you're walking. Saturdays are always a busy day at the mall as just about everyone is there, either shopping, socializing or just hanging out. I find it to be a fun and exciting place to be, and when I'm in heels, the excitement factor doubles. I'm glad you're enjoying my adventures.

• Like 1

Well, I've always been of the opinion that the busier and more crowded a mall is, the better your chances of going unobserved, ...

I was about to say that with the holiday shopping season coming up, the increased crowds would provide the perfect 'audio camaflage' to go heeling in public.

However, with the way the economy is going, it will be interesting to see what happens. I just read a newspaper article that said that a lot of stores were starting to have some significant sales (similar to Payless's buy one, get one 1/2 off) specifically to try to keep their sale volumes up, even if it meant a less profit per sale. Tough to imagine KofP Mall empty on a Friday night or weekend in December.

JeffB:-) Your Mall heeling stories are quite interesting reading. Keep up the good work, my friend. Mickey and I spent quite a bit of time in the Malls with me heeling up until we had our health problems. We haven't been to a Mall in some time now. Hopefully we will be able to enjoy the Malls again during the Holiday Season this year. Only time will tell. Cheers--- Dawn HH

• Like 1

High Heeled Boots Forever!

However, with the way the economy is going, it will be interesting to see what happens. I just read a newspaper article that said that a lot of stores were starting to have some significant sales (similar to Payless's buy one, get one 1/2 off) specifically to try to keep their sale volumes up, even if it meant a less profit per sale. Tough to imagine KofP Mall empty on a Friday night or weekend in December.

Funny you should mention Payless, but on Saturday, when I bought that pair of Lance Flex pumps in merlot, I got the Jamie paltform pumps for half off! Nothing like a sale! As for KOP being empty in December before Christmas, not likely!

JeffB:-) The stores around my area are all starting their Christmas sales NOW in order to keep the Malls full for the Holidays and to keep their sales up, (Hopefully). Things are really slow economic wise when you have to start Christmas long before Halloween and Thanksgiving. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

I've haunted the sprawwwwling KofP mall, but never in heels.

We should do the Nordy's cafe some time!!

I have raided Nordy's Rack in the midst of women in full sale mode! Fun!

I'm in Harrisburg. Cheers.

Greetings! Yeah, KOP is my favorite place to roam in heels. Hanging out at Nordy's cafe would be mondo cool! I've been to the Rack (next door to Best Buy, my home away from home) and they do have interesting offerings! Cheers back at ya!

DawnHH: I've seen the Christmas stuff making it's way onto the shelves. I suppose that getting a REALLY early start on the season is a good way to stimulate sales.

Greetings! Yeah, KOP is my favorite place to roam in heels. Hanging out at Nordy's cafe would be mondo cool! I've been to the Rack (next door to Best Buy, my home away from home) and they do have interesting offerings! Cheers back at ya!

DawnHH: I've seen the Christmas stuff making it's way onto the shelves. I suppose that getting a REALLY early start on the season is a good way to stimulate sales.

Ok gang when is the KOP heel meet? Nordy's cafe the meeting place?

rx

rx

Well, I would be open to such an outing. That would be fun I think. Let's see what we can do to put it all together!

rx

Well, I would be open to such an outing. That would be fun I think. Let's see what we can do to put it all together!

I would be interested in this as well! I am on the other side of Pennsylvania, but would love to see the K of P mall, and what better way to do it than with friends in heels!

I would be interested in this as well! I am on the other side of Pennsylvania, but would love to see the K of P mall, and what better way to do it than with friends in heels!

Wow! A chance to meet the famous HappyFeat and talk high heels! What could be better? Now I'm really jazzed! Let's see if we can set this up for say, early November so we'll have plenty of time to properly work out the logistics. I'm sure rxrenesis would be interested as well, and that we'll all probably bring a camera along to document our budding adventure! HA!

Wow! A chance to meet the famous HappyFeat and talk high heels! What could be better? Now I'm really jazzed! Let's see if we can set this up for say, early November so we'll have plenty of time to properly work out the logistics. I'm sure rxrenesis would be interested as well, and that we'll all probably bring a camera along to document our budding adventure! HA!

And here I thought that it was my chance to meet JeffB! I think it would be way too much fun...