Ballet Heels

Jezebel

What do you feel about ballet heels?  

562 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel about ballet heels?

• I love them and wear them!
    • I like how they look on others but don't wear them myself.
    • I don't really care for them.

Hi Guys, Theses heels sure do look appealing and would love to try a pair on or maybe even have a pair. The prob is that I have basically just started wearing heals and have a long way to got to get an arch that will handle these heels. The other prob is that I am in South Africa and the market is not as developed in SA expectially in the small town Ladysmith that I am in. Don't like the look but would like the chanlenge and experience that you all have described. Thanx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I bought Devious leather ankle boots with locking straps back in Oct from a store on E-Bay. Before they arrived I trained on some homemade ones I fashioned from black ninja boots and wood sole/heel and duct tape. After various types of workable toe pads I can now stand and walk around in the Devious boots, after I modified the heels so they wouldn't break off, for over an hour with no pain except some ankel discomfort and week leg muscles. I find them to be a great work out and excelant balance training. I plan on posting a vidio in the spring when the snow melts. I'm 62 years old and think this is quite fun also it helps my snow skiing ballance. After a session of walking I sterach my feet and legs in the pointe position with resistance from my bed covers. I haven't walked in public as yet( I did take a short walk in a closed amusement park back in Oct.) but will in time take a strole in a mall or grocery store soon. If I can find some one to video the walk I'll post it. It takes time and much walking to achieve the smootheness of the ladies that I've seen but I'm getting there. Solving the toe pain issue is paramount before one can walk/stand with ease. Check my other posts for a description of the mods. I hope this helps and Keep at it success is just a few moore steps away. By for Now. Dr Who :santa_hat:

I have two pairs of Ballet Boots, one knee high leather, lace up and the other ankle patent pvc also lace up but with locks. If you go onto 'You Tube' you can see me wlaking in them, my user name is 'pink flash'. I find the ballet boots eassier to walk in then some of the 71\2" boots and shoes I have and certainly far more comfortable to sleep in. Wife actually locks me into them and keeps the key. I also had a pair of Devious thigh highs but for ease of on/off the ankle and knee high ones are better. The leather ones I got from www.funkypairs.com and the ankle from Ebay, heelbuys site. Both pairs were very affordable and arrived within 10 days to the UK. I agree, support is vital which is why I will not buy the open shoes unless I get some purely for sitting and wearing to bed.

My average heel height is 61\2" on size 9 feet

Thanks for the kind words Sevenup. I have now been able to keep my ballets on for over 2 hrs while working around the house or @ where I work. After 2 hrs though my toes /feet/ankles rebell and I have to stop but I'll keep at it so I can walk/stand longer. My goal is to be able to walk for a mile or 2 around the amusement park where I work @ lunch time this spring and summer. Quite ambitious I know and I hope my feet/legs are up to it in time. I have also found that I can tie my ankle boots up to the 5th eylet letting the others loose and walk around with out problems I think I'll order some of the ballet heel shoes. At least they won't take as long to lace up. Well that's all for now. Ballet Boots/ shoes are really a fun challenge. I have found that the right kind of toe padding ( This varies between people)is a must.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim C. I showed my b-boots to one of the young girls in our band and she thought it very strange that I should even want to put these on let alone to want to to walk in them. Some of my co workers were supprised the first time I tried to go on a walk @ lunch time in them. Two of the girls were very helpfull they tried to give me some support when I stumbled over the cobble stone area. One of the girls were intrested in them and I emagin she might try mine out before buying her own. The older lady in our walking group was impressed I could even walk in them. She wanted to know if I had done some ballet pointe work before. I find it fun walking in these but most people probably think I'm nuts. I'm going to try to put some pictures or a video together and post it on hhplace soon.

Sorry Jim C I forgot to answer your question. Other than @ the one lunch time excursion I generaly wear the b-boots @ work after most of our staff have gone for the day. We have a large warehouse with a lot of obstacles to walk around so since the weather is cold/snowy out I walk inside just after quitting time for 1/2 hour to a hour. Some times I'll do some work that I have to stand to do then as well.

You are a trooper. To walk to, through, and from (not to mention after) work, with ballet heels/boots on! Not regular work-like boots, ballet boots! That takes a lot of.... courage, determination, dedication(?),... boy, I'm at a lost of words trying to describe this. But very nice job, Doc. I could have never done what you have.

Formally "HHDude"

I have to say, you're an inspiration. I'm really looking forward to seeing the photos and videos when you put them up!

Same here. Maybe a few taken at the job, a few outside the job. Just throwin' out there a few.

Formally "HHDude"

• 1 month later...

I love wearing high heels all of the time, every day. But ballet Heels have never appealed to me. This is one of those to-each-his-own preferences. If you like them, enjoy them to the fullest.

• 1 month later...

I love ballet boots, and have a pair of little shoe box black patent thigh high ballet boots, I love them so much i am now after a pair of ankle or knee high ones uk10. So if anyone knows of a little shoebox pair for sale, id love to hear. As for walking in the boots i am trying my best. I have heard that the ballet foot stretcher is a good device for practicing with, anyone have any thoughts on that?

Sure you can. With some good toe padding and practice I think almost any one who is able to manage regular high heels can manage these ballets.

I beg to differ. Talking as to what you've done, I could have never done that. I'm a quiet person as is, and walking out in ballets.... ehhh, not my cup of tea, yet. I do plan on at least walking to the mailbox and back, however. Or giving a walk around the block a run(?) First, I need to get a pair...

As for walking in the boots i am trying my best. I have heard that the ballet foot stretcher is a good device for practicing with, anyone have any thoughts on that?

Far as I see, it sounds like a good start. I'm considering it myself. Any recommended places to order one from?

Formally "HHDude"

I find ballet boots fascinating - I like the idea of trying a pair. Looks-wise, they do not have the grace of a well-designed pair of heels. Maybe one day I'll get a pair, although I don't think I'll ever wear them out of the house. I do like them on women & I admire anyone who can master walking on them.

• 2 months later...

Hi HH Dude. If you want to start may I recomend that you buy a pair of the leather ankle boots and Leo's pink ballet dancer toe pads. The ankle boots will help with ankle support and the toe pads help with the pressure on your toes. I bought my ankle boots on e-bay from sassy & sweet and I have been very satisfied with my boots. I did some modifications though and you can read my posts to see what I did to make the boots work better for me. Best to you and I know once you try the boots on you will be hooked. Dr. Who 3

I agree with DR who3 i have a pair of ballet boots that i wear quite often and i love them, they are alittle tricky to master at first but once u start to get the hang of it, you will notice that you are getting much better much faster, but probly the most important thing is toe padding. IMO

I have a pair, and wore them around the house for a few months, and actually was able to walk in them reasonably well for short periods before they started to really hurt (even with toe pads). I think my body overall is just too large for them, that and the heel is starting to split. It would take some serious repair work to fix them, and I have not bothered to do it. So they sit in the bottom of my closet collecting dust. Perhaps if I ever get my weight back down to a nice slender form again (need to lose about 50lbs), I will reward myself with a nice new pair, but for now, I am afraid I will not put them on again. :o

Yes weight could be a problem. When I first got my bboots I noticed that the heels moved a lot and I didn't want to take a chance on braking them and endure the down time while I fixed them so from the get go I decided to modify them.(see my other posts) Now I feel very confident walking in them. I weigh 195 lb. Dr Who 3